LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken compatibility with all Windows-versions prior to 10

The latest update available for LabVIEW 2020 in Package Manager has a little notice about broken compatibility which seems to be rather understated(!);
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YOE0CAO&l=en-NO&prodref=com-ni-packag...

If I am reading it correctly we cannot apply this update without being unable to properly create installers that work for all our customers running anything older than Windows 10?!

The workaround is too clumsy to offer to customers. Is this really how it will be, or is it a bug that will be fixed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,030 Views)

Yes, this should have been communicated better.  But if you read the readme.txt files (am I the only one who reads these?) for any NI installer over the last 3 years, they have been stating that as of May 2021 NI will no longer support Windows 7, etc.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,001 Views)

Read me? Like the notice given in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?😉

It would be fine if LabVIEW 2020 continued to support it, but later versions (2021...) would not. Then we could still keep 2020 around on the (same) development machines and keep working in 2020 until we saw the actual use of previous Windows-versions recede. Having to keep separate (real or virtual) machines around just to do that is much more of a pain. 

Message 3 of 7
(985 Views)

NI “But the plans were on display…”
User “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
NI “That’s the display department.”
User “With a flashlight.”
NI “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
User “So had the stairs.”
NI “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
User “Yes, yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Worst part is this is NOT the first time NI has done something like this and buried the notice in a readme...

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 7
(958 Views)

I thought it was mentioned several times here that LV 2020 (and SP1) would be the last version to even install on Win7?  That's the whole reason I am installing another HDD into my computer at home, so I can install Win10 and dual boot - just so I can install LV 2021+.

EDIT:

The first notification was timed with the 2020 beta.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(951 Views)

2020 can build applications and installers for Windows 7 SP3 and newer (regardless of what OS you run the IDE on).  You can update package manager now though and still be using 2020 - and voila; no more building applications for anything but Win10. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(945 Views)

@Mads wrote:

2020 can build applications and installers for Windows 7 SP3 and newer (regardless of what OS you run the IDE on).  You can update package manager now though and still be using 2020 - and voila; no more building applications for anything but Win10. 

Oh, THAT's what you are getting at.  I must have misread the post.  Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 7
(943 Views)