LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera attributes reset to invalid values on power cycle

Solved!
Go to solution

The issue I am having is that my GigE interfaced camera, using IMAQdx drivers, overwrites saved attributes (viewed in MAX) with invalid values on power cycling. This causes out of range errors if I don't manually open MAX and fix the values after every power cycle. For some reason changing them programmatically in a VI still gives out of range errors.

I've had issues with this across multiple versions of labview (2009 and 2017), MAX(5.4 and 17.0), and vision acquisition software (2013-02 and 17.1), on windows 7 and xp, respectively. I'm primarily trying to use the older versions because I also need to interface with a fieldpoint system.

The camera is a Blackfly 0.5 MP Mono GigE PoE (https://www.ptgrey.com/blackfly-05-mp-mono-gige-vision-poe-sony-icx693-camera#tabstrip-2) which appears compatible with both versions of the drivers I'm using. I have updated the firmware to the most recent version.

The first camera attribute that show up out of range are DeviceControl::DeviceIndicatorMode (controls whether the camera LED flashes or not). It resets to a blank value, and valid options are either "active" or "inactive". The second is DeviceControl::DeviceLinkThroughputLimit, which defaults to 1002160000. It is dependent on a number of other parameters, like acquisition speed and desired peak bandwidth. I just need to change it to a different value in max, and when I acquire an image it adjusts to the correct value (which based on the default settings is 41480000).

I have attached the data files that I'm using on the older system, found in Documets\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx\Data

I have tried deleting the data files and regenerating them by unplugging and power cycling the camera, but run into the same issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,763 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RPerkins

Isn't the most logical root cause here dealing with the camera?  The attributes are saved in volatile memory instead of non-volatile so it loses them on power cycle.

I don't know why using the VI won't set them without error.  But, I'd be curious if the camera itself has any settings that allow the settings to persist.

Message 2 of 4
(2,755 Views)

Good call, I hadn't considered that some attributes would be saved in volatile memory because many of them were retained on power cycling. There were a group of "user set controls" that allow for saving different configurations to non-volatile memory, and choosing which loads by default.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,735 Views)

Hi guys!

I have the same problem with a FLIR camera BFLY-PGE-23S2C-CS.

My question is... Were you able to do these checks on NIMAX? Or did you use another Software (Ex: Spinnaker® SDK)? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,993 Views)