LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client access to Server application using Web Server

Hi there.

I'm working on a LabView application that controls several devices, read data from them and show their measures on the front panel, using different graphs and indicators. All the items defined in the project and the collected data is stored in a SQL Server database. The application includes another module ("Reports Module"), which consists of several windows (VIs Front Panels) where queries to the SQL Server database are made and displays lists of the selected data. This module can be accessed by the main menu of the software.

Our intention is to deploy the application in a PC placed in the working site (server), and access the registered data using remote PCs (clients). The idea is to access the "Reports Module" via web.

For this purpose, we are using the Web Server feature of LabView. The main VI of the "Reports Module" is defined with "Reentrant execution" (so that it can be accessed by multiple clients), and we create an HTML document of it using the Web Publishing Tool. We make an executable of the application (using the Application Builder) and, to create a Web Server in the deploy machine, we make use of what is stated in the following link:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7F95D43D3F50FCAC8625710E000068E1?OpenDocument

The problem we find is that when the main application is running in the server computer, if we access the "Reports Module" and begin selecting the queries options through its different windows, the same windows are opened in the server computer screen, so that it's difficult for an operator to control the main application on the server side if someone its accessing simultaneously through a remote client.

Is there a way to do prevent this behaviour?

Could you suggest me a different method to accomplish what we intend to do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,594 Views)

For your reporting you might consider the UI Builder.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,583 Views)

Hi, Steve and thanks for your reply.

I knew about UI Builder but I'd like to try with some tool included in the LabView Development package before considering this new NI software. I'd like to know whether my objective is very complicated to achieve with Web Server \ Remote Panels or any other way.

Regards,
Francisco

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,572 Views)

What about NI Teststand. Its a Testsequener which helps you to execute remote software and to generate reports.

You can make you of LabVIEW via VI Server and use local VI to work with your database.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,563 Views)
I played with remote front panels a really long time ago snd it was nothing but problems. I hear they have improved but what I did was abandon them for an extJS application to do what you are doing. It is now called Sencha. Sorry but I can't help with a pure LabVIEW solution.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,549 Views)