LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating with a Solartron LVDT RS-232 port

I have a Solartron LVDT S100 Module that has no analog outputs, but has a RS-232 port that Sloartron has told me that can be connected to a computer and used to read the data in labview. Is anyone familiar with this, and if so what are the pinouts. I bought this based on the sales guys word that it had analog outs so I could just use an analog in Daq, but it only has Digital outs which can control a relay. It does have the RS-232, that they would normally use to connect to a PC, but I have never used a RS-232 connection with data acq.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,441 Views)

The pin definitions of the RS-232 interface would be documented in the manual. The pins are fairly standardized with typically a DB9 or DB25 connector and the instrument is either a DTE or DCE. For general concepts of RS232, see this and the NI tutorial. There are a couple of examples that come with LabVIEW that show some of the ways you can communicate to an RS-232 instrument and numerous instrument drivers that use serial communication. There does not appear to be an existing instrument driver for what you have so you will have to write the program yourself using the information in the manual. I would suggest you do your initial debug with a terminal emulation program such as Hyperterminal, Procomm, Putty, etc. until you are sure that you have all of the com settings (baud rate, partity, etc.) correct and are using the correct type of serial cable (there are two major variations).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,437 Views)

Thanks Dennis, that was a step in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,413 Views)