LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility concern between Labview, Windows 10 and old equipment

Hi All, 

I am using a few old equipment and using Labview 6.0 to control them in Windows XP. I want to upgrade my system to windows 10, but cannot afford to upgrade all the equipment. I have used Labview 8.0 with Windows 10 before, so that is my plan to upgrade into. I will need a GPIB to USB adapter to control all the equipment through Labview as the new computers do not come with GPIB ports. I was looking at a few GPIB to USB adapters from NI but could not decide. Can anyone suggest a good GPIB to USB adapter that is reasonably priced and also compatible with Windows 10 and Labview 8.0 ? The equipment models are:

Anritsu Spectrum Analyzer, product number : MS2667C

HP Wave Generator, product number : E4433B

HP Power Source, product number : E36331A

Also, I was using Labview 6.0 before, and since I am planning to upgrade to Labview 8.0, I was wondering if I will need new drivers for the equipment mentioned above. If anyone has used those equipment before, please do share the experience. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kaawn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,091 Views)

LabVIEW 8.0, and especially the drivers compatible with it, are not compatible with Windows 10.  You might as well upgrade to LabVIEW 2020 and the latest drivers.

As far as GPIB controllers, I would go with the GPIB-USB-HS+ (just noticed the GPIB-USB_HS is now "Mature", meaning it won't be around much longer).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,994 Views)

I need to move some code files from LabVIEW 6 on a Windows XP machine to labVIEW 8.0 on a Windows 10 machine that's using some old GPIB testing equipment which unfortunately can't be changed to newer ones. Getting LabVIEW 2020 is apparently out of the question due to budgetary reasons. All I got to make this upgrade is GPIB to USB HS adapter. I know the NI 488.2 version 2.5 isn't supported on Windows 10, and that it is the only version supported by LabVIEW 8.0. 

So. is there any way i can use my testing equipment using LabVIEW 8.0 on Windows 10 ? could I write a VI that handles the GPIB protocols or could I find third party drivers that could work instead of the NI 488.2 driver ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,015 Views)

This sounds like the same question that kaawn just asked.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Compatibility-concern-between-Labview-Windows-10-and-old/m-p/405716...

Do you too work together?  If so, you should coordinate your messages.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,003 Views)

I see, i didn't know he posted it. Thank you for letting me know.

From the reply on the other post it seems that there isn't really a way then

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,995 Views)

With Windows 7, you could use LabVIEW 8.  With Windows 10, you need LabVIEW 15 SP1, at a minimum.  I don't know if it would be possible to acquire a license for this 5-year-old version, but that might be worth investigating ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,959 Views)