LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting GPIB to USB-6361

I have a Windows 7 laptop running Labview and am using an NI USB-6361 to interface with. I have a Magtrol 6510e single-phase power analyzer I would like to use, but currently have no way of connecting the GPIB (or even the RS232) to the laptop (the only RS232 port is being used). I want to modify a GPIB cable (cut & strip it down) such that I can input individual wires into the digital I/O pins on the USB-6361. I have identified the 8 1-bit signal wires, however I am unsure what else is needed from the 24-pin cable to interface with Labview (and the program set-up) so I can graph the power input and read out the max power used. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,297 Views)

You don't want to go that route! GPIB is not just a set of parallel bus signals, it is a complex (to do the way you are proposing) communications protocol with critical timings, etc. You would not be able to use any of the existing methods to communicate, your program would be incredibly complicated, and without looking at the DAQ device you are using, I'll say that it (the DAQ) probably can't do it in a Windows 7 environment. You are going have a much easier time if you get a usb to serial adapter (do a search on these forums for models that users have had sucess with) or spring for a USB to GPIB adapter. If you do the later I would recommend going with the NI one(s), if only for the support aspect. Others are shown that are less expensive to purchase, but that doesn't always translate to less expensive to use.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,288 Views)

Agreed. Definitely a waste of time. Are you prepared to re-create an IEEE488.2 controller with your DAQ? Because that's what you'll need to do. In this case, I'd suggest heading over to the IEEE web site and getting the IEEE488.2 spec. You can read a VERY BRIEF overview of it here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3388#toc1

Ordering it: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B006CB15415296C3852563E2007AA509

By the time all is said and done, I think you'll agree that it's far easier and more cost-effective to simply buy a controller. If the ones from NI are outside your price range, others exist on the market.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,281 Views)

Thank you for the prompt response. I had a sneaky suspicion that trying to go the GPIB route would result in weeks of frustration. I have ordered an RS232 to USB adapter and will try that route. If that doesn't work, then I may just invest in a GPIB to USB adapter. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,277 Views)

Weeks of frustration is an under estimate! Smiley Wink National Instruments, if you end up going that route, happens to be the world's primary supplier/expert on GPIB. Originally it was developed by Hewlett-Packard as the HPIB bus, but became the GPIB a few years later when it escaped into the world!. National Instruments improved on the design, creating the High Speed varient about 20 years ago, so they are pretty knowledgeable. As to serial vs GPIB, there will probably be a speed hit using serial, depending on the baud rate the instrument allows.

Good Luck, remember to come here if you hit a snag.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,263 Views)