From Thursday, May 23rd (05:00 PM CDT) through Friday, April 24th (1:30 AM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to the Real-Time target has been lost

Starting last week I've been losing connection to my real-time target computer when I try to run a Labview vi on the target. I've included the vi's, but I don't think they're the problem because the connection is lost when I run ANY vi on the target. I also hooked up a monitor to the target computer. I attached an image of what it displays upon starting up (Phoenix[...].png), when it's running and successfully connected to the host computer using Filezilla (Connected[...].png), and after I run Labview and the connection is lost (After_labview.png)

Some things worth noting:

-It's not like the target computer crashes. It's still sending stuff to the monitor, and as far as I can tell the output looks the same.

-The vi DOES successfully deploy on the target. It even runs for a few seconds before the connection is lost.

-I don't see any spike in CPU usage on the target computer before the connection fails.

-Once the connection has been lost, I also can't connect to the target computer in Filezilla.

-I haven't changed any of the vi's, and this system has worked for years.

I searched for similar problems on the forums. For the first link, the poster had to reformat the target computer and reinstall all the software and drivers. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. For the second link, there was a mistake in the way the poster was using their FPGA vi. But as mentioned, I have problems with all my target vi's, and these are vi's that have a history of working.

1. https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/Connection-to-the-RT-target-has-been-lost/td-p/730543

2. https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/warning-connection-to-the-target-cRIO-has-been-lost/td-p/3655549

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,169 Views)

You do not provide much useful information.

• Describe the Host machine.  What OS, what version of LabVIEW (and is it 32-bit or 64-bit).
  • Describe the Real-Time Target.  Is it a National Instrument Real-Time peripheral, such as a PXI system, a RIO, a PC?  What Real-Time OS is it running (include as much detail as possible, including the name, "bitness", and Version/Year of the OS).
  • If you are having problems with your LabVIEW code, attach your code.  Do not attach "pictures" of code -- static images, whether .png or .jpeg files, cannot be carefully examined, cannot be tested, cannot be edited.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,143 Views)

Whoops, I forgot to attach the two vi's. I've attached them here. The pictures I originally attached are not pictures of code. They are pictures of what the real time computer outputs to the monitor. That's how I determined that the target computer is running LabVIEW Real-Time 11.0. I'm trying to figure out how to get more information than that. Even though there is a blinking underscore after "Welcome to LabVIEW Real-Time 11.0", it doesn't seem like I can input any commands. When I access the target's properties via the LabVIEW project, the "Conditional Disable Symbols" page shows

OS = PharLap

CPU = x86.

Host computer:

OS = Windows 7 Enterprise, service pack 1. 64 bit.

Processor = Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz.64-bit.

Running Labview 11.0, 32-bit.

Target computer:

OS = LabVIEW Real-Time 11.0 (See Connected_to_Filezilla.png)

CPU Type = Intel Xeon CPU     E5420 (see PhoenxiBIOS_Setup_Utility.png)

CPU Speed: 2.50 GHz

Physical CPUs = 2 of 2 Enabled

Logical CPUs: 8 of 8 Enabled.

Other:

The real-time PC is also connected to a NI PXIe-18082. It has 3 slots occupied.

1 - NI PXIe-8360. MXI-Express

5 - NI PXI-7841R. R Series

8 - NI PXI-6221. M Series. Multifunction DAQ.

The target computer outputs to slot 1. Slot 5 outputs to a NI accessory enclosure (CA-1000), which then outputs analog voltages to our piezoelectric translation stage.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,106 Views)

SOLVED -- I did a few things to the target computer and one of them fixed the problem. My best guess is that I fixed the problem by removing lots of files from the target computer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,071 Views)