LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Count Events Or Time.VI Errors When Using M Series Cards With Traditional NI-DAQ Compatibility VI's

Hello;

I have decided to change our current DAQ system to integrate the M series cards such as the PCI-6229. The system we currently have was written for use with the E Series or Legacy using the PCI MIO 16E-4 DAQ. The complexity and size of our program is very high therefore the option of the compatibility VI's was the quickest and simplest option. The conversion process was very simple but there is an issue with the "Count Events or Time.VI" section of the program of which gives an error number of 10401 under the sections of CTR Group Config and CTR Control.
I have tried to place the Count VI under different values and situations to remove the error and have reinstalled both the M series drivers and the Traditional drivers with no success. I am very definate that it is a timing issue that is related to the change in the card types but have tried to get round it using the guidelines of the Compatibility Help Files and LabVIEW help files.
I am running LabVIEW 8.2 With the compatibility VI's version 1.3 under windows XP and the most up to date Drivers for both the Traditional and M series cards.
Are there any solutions to fix the error without having to rewrite the system using the DAQ-MX VI's or another method of running M series cards under traditional VI's noting that the loss of extra m series features is not of concern.

Many Thanks
Tom Horsfall

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,696 Views)

Hello Tom

in this link:
http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201761
"M Series devices are not compatible with the Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) driver"

Traditional DAQ is now only legacy. i suggest you browse the examples, to find an alternative vi, with the DAQmx drivers.
on a side note, DAQmx is much better than DAQ, and not only because added functionality, also because efficiency of CPU utilisation and polling data from card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,690 Views)
The compatibility Vi's seem to work with most features except the traditional counter VI which just gives me that error. I can extract information from the cards but due to the error cannot get any further as the timing error stops the functionality of the cards.
Would you recommend rewiting using the DAQ-MX Vi's and begin from scratch?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,686 Views)

rewriting from scratch i am not sure...

yet, if your aplpication is well structured, all the DAQ communication should be encapsulated in designated subvis. then it should be easy to exchange those with ones from the LAbview examples , or with self cooked subvis.

if the hardware communication is not in subvis, i suggest you first try to restructurate with what you have, and at later stage exchange the vis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,680 Views)
ok i will give that a go, is there any examples within the program that can show the differences between a system using Traditional VI's and DAQ-MX VI's doing the same operation??

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,665 Views)

you can check this paper from NI, about transistion from DAQ to DAQmx.

but i would rather browse the examples that come with LAbview:

in the NI example finder, go to Hardware input and output -> DAQmx ->...you have in there an example for virtually any DAQ operation you would like to do.

if you post your subvi, maybe we can help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,659 Views)