LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating executable from a vi that controls an instrument

Hello everyone,

i have created a vi and then created the executable with application builder. The vi i have created, controls an instrument (signal generator) through a GPIB ENET controller. In another laptop (that did not have any ni software installed before), i installed the runtime engine  and also ni 488.2 driver and NI-MAX. The application works fine. I would like to ask:

1) If it is possible to run the application from the laptop with as less software as possible. To be more precise, i know run time engine is necessary. But are the drivers and ni max necessary?

2) Is it possible to include the needed software(drivers and ni max probably) somehow within the application so that the user in another laptop does not need to install anything apart run time engine?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(142 Views)

Hi DEETA,

@DEETA wrote:

1) If it is possible to run the application from the laptop with as less software as possible. To be more precise, i know run time engine is necessary. But are the drivers and ni max necessary?

2) Is it possible to include the needed software(drivers and ni max probably) somehow within the application so that the user in another laptop does not need to install anything apart run time engine?

1. When you need to use additional hardware (GPIB-ENET), then you need to install the driver for this hardware. NI drivers almost always install MAX to allow configuration of the additional hardware…
  2. You can create an installer from your executable. This installer will include all needed (additional) drivers, including the RunTimeEngine.
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(128 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply.

Do you know how to create the installer? Probably choosing the required software in additional installers tab when creating the application ?

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(100 Views)

Hi DEETA,

@DEETA wrote:

Do you know how to create the installer?

Create another entry in the AppBuilder specs and choose "Installer"!

With recent LabVIEW version the AppBuilder often chooses the correct drivers for the setup package. In case something is missing you should know which drivers you need to include…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(94 Views)

Thanks a lot! I also noticed some additional solutions from NI support!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(77 Views)