LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating "help" systems for users (not other LV programmers) - where to start?

How should one approach giving users a built-in "Help" system?  Users, that is, of a distributed application written in LabVIEW.

These users ideally would have no way of knowing the application was written in LabVIEW.  To them, this application is just another program.  The way the LabVIEW Help system works would be fine, but all the content would be inappropriate.

From the docs I see we can write "Descriptions" that show up in context-sensitive help when the user puts the mouse over a control, and a "Tip" that shows up when the context-sensitive help isn't even enabled.  Are these typically the only help features built into a distributed application?

In the LabVIEW Help there is an article called "Development Process Tips" discussing creating web pages that document the VIs that you create, and another article called "Linking VIs to HTML Files or Compiled Help Files.  Another discusses Creating Compiled Help Files, but refers to third-party software for doing this.  Is this a typical approach for doing a nice job of providing help?

Or is there some other way to create a Help system that works like the existing LabVIEW help but has content we create?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,779 Views)
Hello,

Let me take your questions in order:

Q. How should one approach giving users a built-in "Help" system?
A. Here's one approach I have used: 
a). Give all front panel controls and indicators a description so that the context help will show information for those front panel objects, and also for relevant front panel objects a tip - this will pop-up when the user hovers over the object, and can be annoying if it's used excessively, but nice if used where appropriate.
b). Create html files, one for each "Page" of your user interface, and place a Help button on your user interface which will launch the corresponding document for that "Page."  I'm not sure what your UI is like, but basically if there are multiple front panels the user will see, a page describing each object on that panel, and the panel's purpose is nice.  If you're using a tab control in any of those panels, then a page for each tab is nice as well.

A variation of b). is to use a so-called compiled help file - a .chm file.  These are only relevant for Windows machines, so if you plan to deploy across multiple OSs, then this is out.  The reason documentation suggests you need a third party tool is because those .chm files basically collect a set of html files together into a nice document, with the usual search, index, browse etc. capabilites and we don't have a product which does this.  The LabVIEW Help on Windows is a nice example of a .chm file.  You can do something SIMILAR with just HTML and javascript, creating at least a contents page which has organized links to the rest of the pages (which themselves can contain links back to the contents page), and even include the ability to search keywords etc.  You'll find various free examples of such html and javascript on the web.

Once you have your html or compile help file, you can use the LabVIEW Help VIs to launch them.  For chm files you can open the file and direct to a particular page of the chm file, and for html files all you really need to do is launch the relevant html file in the browser of your choice.

Q. In reference to descriptions and tips for controls/indicators: "Are these typically the only help features built into a distributed application?"
A. No, the html or chm idea is a nice touch, and can add a professional feel to the application.

Q. In reference to html or chm files: "Is this a typical approach for doing a nice job of providing help?"
A. Yes, it is used internally as a standard - chm for windows and html for linux and MAC.

Q. "Or is there some other way to create a Help system that works like the existing LabVIEW help but has content we create?"
A. One ideas is that you could implement your help entirely in LabVIEW if you'd like.  Basically you would be launching your own VI or VIs which would show whatever documentation you wanted/created.  You could use a tree structure or something to provide some convenient navigation by topic, and even a search - you would be coding this, and although I haven't done it, it seems like it would be pretty easy to do.

I hope this helps, and happy LabVIEW programming!

Best Regards,

JLS

Message Edited by JLS on 08-30-2006 01:57 PM

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
Message 2 of 19
(3,754 Views)
Assuming I figure out how to create a help file (.chm) using (lets say) Microsoft HTML Help Workshop, I want this Help to be available to the user through my custom application.  In this case, my top level HMI happens to be the LabVIEW version of the Test Stand Operator Interface (version 4.0).   Do I link this .chm to Full OI - Top-Level VI.vi.  Where do I need to place this .chm.  Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,592 Views)
Hi,

Here is how you create a chm file to use with LabVIEW.  In the link, you will also learn how to link up VIs to your chm file.  You might want to link up specific VIs to specific html files that explain the VIs- that's how it is typically done.

Regards,

Nadim
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,568 Views)
I want to convert a manual I have created into an on-line, searchable help file that the user can search thru.  I have seen this done using the following product in a java-based program:

http://www.doctohelp.com/SuperProducts/DocToHelp/

It is pretty impressive and would add significant value to my software executable that I am distributing.

So the question is, is a searchable help file created with the method you show the link to (create a chm file to use with LabVIEW.)?

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,350 Views)

Don,

Yes, the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop that is referenced in the NI document that you linked to in your post will compile your HTML files into a *.chm file which is searchable in the same format as any standard Windows help interface.

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
Message 6 of 19
(3,314 Views)
Hi Jonah -

OK - I saved my manual to .htm format.  I then downoaded the MS HTML Help Workshop Tool and followed the directions at the following link create a help file (.chm file):

http://www.beansoftware.com/ASP.NET-Tutorials/HTML-Help-Workshop.aspx

I then made the necessary modifications to the project (HTML Help Workshop Tool Project) in order to display a search tab.

I created a simple test.vi that shows that the .chm file will open with the search tab. 

What I cannot figure out right now is why my images from the .htm file will not display in the .chm file.   I searched the MS HTML Help Workshop Tool help but so far have not come up with what the issue might be.  Any thoughts on this?

Sincerely,

Don

Message Edited by DonRoth on 08-04-2008 07:35 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,291 Views)

Hi Don,

I was able to successfully create a searchable help file using the tutorial that you provided as well as the LabVIEW VI to call it (see attached screenshot). One difference is that I used a possibly newer version of the MS HTML Help Workshop Tool found at this location. Please try downloading it and reproducing the issue with it. Thanks!

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Jonah Paul
Message 8 of 19
(3,270 Views)
I'm at NIweek - will try tonite but can you try something real quick? Can you cut and paste a screen capture into your htm document, recreate the chm file, and see if the screen capture image shows up in the help window?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,261 Views)
Hi Don,

I also tried to compile my help chm with an image linked inside the htm file. It also worked successfully (see screenshot); however, I did initially run into a snag that may be why your image is not displaying. Is your htm, image and chm file all on the same drive (i.e. C drive)? Because by default Microsoft was saving my chm file to a network drive which was unable to then link back to my htm and image file and gave me an error.

I hope you are enjoying NIWeek!

Cheer,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Jonah Paul
Message 10 of 19
(3,232 Views)