LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR Parallel Read Access

In LabVIEW 2017 there is a new DVR option, Parallel Read Access. In this mode...

When the border node on the right is unwired, LabVIEW allows multiple, concurrent read-only operations and does not modify the data value reference.

I was wondering whether anybody has tested this mode for speed. In some VIs, sorry I cannot post them, it appears slower while in others faster. I am not sure when to use this mode. For me, it seems any read only operation should be better in this mode (even just a single access), however, in my testing this is not the case.

Anybody else out there test this new feature and can offer some thoughts?

Thanks

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,420 Views)

Hi,

Could you post an example code of this?

Regards!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,357 Views)

I can't post my application due to company policy, but something similar to the diagram below.

Snap1.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,353 Views)

I ran the code below and saw pretty comparable results between the read only and the read/write.

dvr.png

Let me know if you see much difference in speed with the above 

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,337 Views)

Maybe my example was bad. For this other case I can describe and show some code. I am downloading millions of points from a DAQ device, before plotting the data I do a Min/Max type of decimation so I plot a few thousand points instead of a few million. Below is the outer VI

Snap2.png

The array is not being modified at all in this case, just read.

The subVI inside the in-place structure looks like this

Snip5.png

Maybe its slower because I'm reading chunks of the array, not really sure. I do know if I put High Precision timers on the outside of the loop it is faster without the Read Only mode.

Thanks for looking into this.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,330 Views)

Am I missing something here?  Does this not work for Classes in DVRs?

ReadOnlyAccessWithClass.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,013 Views)

The read-only feature does not work with classes in 2017 although this is a bug. CAR 671221 was filed to address this.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,005 Views)