LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 07/17/2006

Here's something I didn't know until last week, when someone off-handedly mentioned it.  Did you know that you can change a Case Structure to "Case Insensitive Match" mode when you have a string wired to the selector?  In the past, I've always stuck "To Lower Case" functions in my code before wiring strings to Case Structures...apparently that wasn't necessary.  One common scenario for me is extracting the file extension from a file name, converting it to lower case, then having cases on my Case Structure like ".doc", ".txt", etc.  Now that I know about this feature, I'll just wire the string directly to the Case Structure, right-click on the Case Structure and choose "Case Insensitive Match", then include a comment on the diagram that indicates I've configured the Case Structure as such.  🙂

By the way, this feature has been around a LONG time...at least since LabVIEW 5.0.

-D

P.S. - Check out past nuggets here.
Message 1 of 10
(8,960 Views)

Hey Darren-

That's a cool tip- I hadn't seen it before either.  Keep 'em comingSmiley Very Happy

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,935 Views)
Hey !

Nice one indeed ! It's amazing how many small unknown feature there are in LabVIEW.. Smiley Surprised

Love your nuggets Darren ! Smiley Happy

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,869 Views)
I can fully double the previous posts. Hope I can remember it once in a while ;).

Message Edited by becktho on 07-18-2006 08:55 AM

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 10
(8,867 Views)
Good one!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,860 Views)
That's just so cool.

How come this wasn't on the packaging box for LV 6.1.  This is a small revolution in how I'll be working with strings in future. 😉

Seriously, cool feature which I did not know about.

Again to Quote Walter Sobchak "I did not know that."

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,855 Views)
Hi Darren,

well this time I knew the nugget before - for the first time... But it's really a nice trick the save atleast one operation.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,839 Views)

Anyone out there (including me...) who thinks that a "Tip of the day" splash screen feature after a software start can be annoying and soon will switch it off because of the recurring trivia stated there? Well, actually this can be a very fertile place for such kind of tiny yet valuable information, if it's used well.

Maybe someone should contact the LV product team and suggest a "Tip of the day" feature, with Darren being the content manager.
Smiley Happy

Greetings,
Hans

BTW: I did know the "Case Insensitive Match" feature some time ago but forgot it somehow, no joking!
Therefore such kind of repeated(!) good tipps can be helpful, too.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,830 Views)
What I want to know, is why this isn't the default behavior? Are that many people out there looking to have one case for "START", another for "Start" and another for "sTaRt"? I guess the current default is the more "correct" way, but it's sure less convenient.
-Randy
-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nothing like a good dose of LabVIEW to cure what ails ya'.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,142 Views)

HJPhilippi wrote:

Anyone out there (including me...) who thinks that a "Tip of the day" splash screen feature after a software start can be annoying and soon will switch it off because of the recurring trivia stated there? Well, actually this can be a very fertile place for such kind of tiny yet valuable information, if it's used well.

Maybe someone should contact the LV product team and suggest a "Tip of the day" feature, with Darren being the content manager.
Smiley Happy

Greetings,
Hans

BTW: I did know the "Case Insensitive Match" feature some time ago but forgot it somehow, no joking!
Therefore such kind of repeated(!) good tipps can be helpful, too.

I'll put in one last shameless plug here since I don't want to pollute this board.  For personal edification and hopefully for other's enjoyment I have started a VI of the Day thread in BreakPoint.  I'll save Darren (cool name BTW) the trouble of managing content (he probably does enough already), but what is really cool is when people with his experience chime in with tips like this for a given VI or structure that I choose on a given day.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,133 Views)