LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining a Length in Seconds into Date and Time Cluster output

Solved!
Go to solution

Simply send your 'seconds' value to a DBL indicator, and format that indicator to show relative time.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 11 of 31
(1,342 Views)

However that only produces a date that is with respect to January 1st,1904, not the actual length of time.  That method adds about 1904 years to the intended value that I want.  How do I zero out that 1904 years?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(1,329 Views)

@emw129 wrote:

However that only produces a date that is with respect to January 1st,1904, not the actual length of time.  That method adds about 4 years to the intended value that I want.  How do I zero out that 4 years?

Set the format of the DBL indicator to Relative Time.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 13 of 31
(1,326 Views)

@emw129 wrote:

However that only produces a date that is with respect to January 1st,1904, not the actual length of time.  That method adds about 1904 years to the intended value that I want.  How do I zero out that 1904 years?

This makes no sense.  There is no 'actual' time. Time has a reference.  It is relative. LabVIEW uses January 1, 1904 as its time reference.  Other systems may use January 1, 1970, or something else altogether.  What are you trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(1,317 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author emw129

I agree with the Numeric indicator, shown as Relative. Else this is a solution:

Numeric to days and stuff.png

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 15 of 31
(1,311 Views)

Oh! Ok I get it. Yes, I agree with paul_cardinale and Yamaeda.

EDIT: Of course if you're trying to get an accurate count of months, days, etc., there's no great way to do that since that is dependent on start time/date.  Yamaeda's solution essentially pretends that start year doesn't matter.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31
(1,313 Views)

That seems to be pretty clean cut and forward. 

In the program I wrote the projected date appears to work because my daughter turned exactly 1 billion seconds old on August 20,2018 ... which we celebrated ... (Kind of kookie) ... but the "age in seconds" rolled over on the exact year, month, day, hour, minute and second that the date cluster predicted.   So the Date Time Cluster (Number) appears to be holding on to the correct time/date.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(1,283 Views)

@Mancho00 wrote:

Yamaeda's solution essentially pretends that start year doesn't matter.

Yeah, as I understood OP the question was "how long is X secs in years, days, hours" and so on. To use my solution you also need to decrement month and day with 1 which will be apparent if you convert 0 secs. 🙂

It's a 'lazy' way to avoid the "Let's use Quotient and Remainder with different values" but it have the slight side effect that it should compensate for leap year, whereas the Q&R version should technically use 365,25 days/year, but I've rarely seen anyone use that. 🙂

/Y

Qestit Systems
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(1,276 Views)

This'd be a solution for converting seconds to Days et al with 365,25 days. I skipped months with the average of 30,44 days (for that very reason), but it should be easy enough to add.

Seconds to Dates.png

/Y

Qestit Systems
Message 19 of 31
(1,272 Views)

OK, what am I doing wrong here? At exactly 2 Billion seconds old (2G) the expected length of time is one day further in the future than the actual measured 2 billion seconds of age in the lower right part of the picture.  The predicted date and Measured age are exactly equal, but the expected age (Age in Seconds Length of Time) is off by 1 day.  See attached zip file with the high level vi being "When is.vi":  Is this because we had a Leap Year in 2000 when we shouldn't of had?  (At the end of every century we skip leap year, unless the century is evenly divisible by 400)

2019-02-23 - 11-47-00am =2G Seconds Age Test [BACKUP].jpg

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(1,230 Views)