LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display subvi of subvi in main vi subpanel

In my application, I have to display hierarchical sub vis in main vi subpanel.(i.e I am displaying a subvi in subpanel, when I click a button on the subvi, it will call another subvi and that called subvi should open in subpanel of the main vi) How to do it? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,757 Views)

You subVI needs to send a message to the main VI, telling it to change the VI in the subPanel.  The message content will need to include either the path to the VI or a reference to it.  I would use a queue to send the message, and for the data type of the queue, I would have a cluster containing a typedef'd enum (which specifies the message type), and a variant (containing message-specific data).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,712 Views)

Another alternative is to have it insert itself into the subpanel. You need to pass a reference to the subpanel to the appropriate subvi. Remove the existing vi and insert the new one. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,703 Views)

@johntrich1971 wrote:

Another alternative is to have it insert itself into the subpanel. You need to pass a reference to the subpanel to the appropriate subvi. Remove the existing vi and insert the new one. 

I believe there is an example of this in LV example finder.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,694 Views)