LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a GPU for labview 2013 or other version?

I have testes LV2013 in 3 different DELL PC's 64Bit W10 and W7 and W8 8G RAM with 2 Monitor and every 2 days when I modify block diagram suddenly screen is frozen but it slowly upadates screen line by line. It takes about 2 minutes to update all screen and block diagram. After that I continue working normally. My CPU or RAM does not show it is full so, maybe GPU ?

Please help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,710 Views)

No.

(Currently on the road, will add details later)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,694 Views)

That's very strange.  You need to zip up the Project Folder and attach it so that we can figure out what you've done and can suggest how to fix it.  It's almost surely Software, not Hardware (unless you are doing something really funky with strange hardware, in which case we need to see the code ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,675 Views)

I'm afraid of finding a block diagram that's 10 x 10.  That is, ten screens high by ten screens wide.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 13
(2,659 Views)

My guess points into a similar direction. There are (not well documented) bounds of the diagram (also for the front panel). Exceeding those bounds leads to different, untested issues. A significant slowdown has been reported in that context multiple times.

But another question:

Is it possible that the laptops are running updates? How about HDD/SDD access during that times? What is running in the background? Does it happen only with LV but also with other applications (e.g. Office apps)?

There are a lot of other questions but these are the most prominent....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,641 Views)

The code is complex. Too many VI's 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,617 Views)

Norbert, regarding your comments, I can say that I usually drag block diagram from one monitor to another and in some cases are set between both.

Also, as my code is some complex, I usually open many VI's front panels and block diagrams. (about 15 VI's). The reason of this is because most of VI's are linked or nested and when debuging I need to review all of them.

I have not tested in a laptop.

I usually only run Labview with some additional simple programs. Maybe Mcafee (I will check that).

It only happens in Labview and when I modify block diagram. Not any other program has this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,613 Views)

Bill, regarding your concern most of VI's does not exceed screen. But some of my VI's exceed screen in about 20%. The reason is because it was developed  in other Computer with other screen resolution. Do you think it may be the problem?

Message 8 of 13
(2,601 Views)

I have seen similar things with big Excel documents and "auto save" when a directory has a lot of files. As it's saving in the background Excel freezes up.

My development computer takes over a minute to refresh the My Documents or Pictures directory because I have well over a decade of documents and pictures that I have been dragging along with me from computer to computer.

It is possible that your first autosave is taking a long time but every save after that does not take as long because Windows has cached the directory contents. 

Try disabling autosave and see if it changes

autosaveCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,583 Views)

@EDGAR_PLATRONICS wrote:

Bill, regarding your concern most of VI's does not exceed screen. But some of my VI's exceed screen in about 20%. The reason is because it was developed  in other Computer with other screen resolution. Do you think it may be the problem?

That's all no big deal and 15 open VIs is also very little. Have the VIs been saved locally or did you open them when they were last saved in a different version? Are there a lot of overlapping objects? What are your compiler settings (tools...options...environment..compiler)? What is the "compiled code complexity" of the larger VIs (VI properties...memory usage). Do you have charts with gigantic history buffers? Graphs with huge default data?

(I am not sure if LabVIEW 2013 allows subVI inlining. That can also increase the code complexity of the caller.

Do you use any unusual AV or security software? Did you remove all the Dell bloatware (since these are all Dell's :o)?

Is your HD very full? Did you scan it for errors? Did you do a malware/virus scan?

Do you have folders with huge amounts of files?

How often were you able to reproduce the problem? There were some recent window updates and some of those seem to slow down the PC for a while.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,574 Views)