LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminating Background Noise using Labview

Hello,

I have built a VI that is used to measure voltage from an amplifier connected to a photomultiplier tube.  The PMT reads a fluorescent light signal and sends it to the amplifier, which converts current to voltage.  I get a pretty decent signal reading, but I want to cut down the background noise that shows up.  For some reason, the background noise starts around 1.5V and randomly oscillates between 1.42 volts and 1.54V.  I am trying to find a way to cut down the noise so my readings are a little more clean.  I have attached my VI and a picture of the resulting graphs I get from a typical data run.  The left graph shows background noise in a 4second interval, and the right graph shows the complete run. 

Any help, suggestions or comments is very much appreciated.  Thank you!

LIFD Background.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,334 Views)

It seems like you have plenty of S/N and can just use a peak detector to get at the essential data.

Otherwise you could try a median filter but it could easily wipe out your peaks if you are not careful.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,321 Views)

Looks pretty clean to me.  Just curious, why do you need it to look cleaner than that?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,309 Views)