LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting input signal from encoder

Hi, im currently doing a project and trying to get an input signal from an encoder to display in a sine wave graph.

Can anyone guide me to achieve this as I'm new to this.

Thank you.

Regards,

YQ_sg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(3,146 Views)

Hi YQ_sg,

Thank you for contacting NI.

With regards to your issue at hand, I believe you may find these links from ni.com quite useful:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7109

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1721

If you have further questions about these, you can email us directly at asean.support@ni.com.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(3,133 Views)

Hi Gerrald,

Currently, my problem is that i do not have any DAQ with me as I am using Ni 9411. Is there a way in which I could display the input of my signal which is the encoder to a Callibrated waveform graph? I have seen the example regarding NI 9411 but it is quite complicated. Is there any other way?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(3,110 Views)

Hi YQ_sg,

If you don't mind, may I know if you are the same user as afai? He has the same issue as you so I am verifying to avoid duplicated service requests. Thank you for clarifying.

Regarding your issue, I'm pleased to say that the NI 9411 is a good enough hardware to acquire the encoder signals. However, I'm afraid the example found in LabVIEW is the simplest that I can recommend to you for a RealTime FPGA implementation. I do understand that some Real Time and FPGA LabVIEW implementations may be complicated to early users of LabVIEW. For this, I can recommend to you RT Training care of our customer education team. You may query about trainings that can help you develop your RT system easier and more efficiently by emailing them at asean.training@ni.com. More information is also available at www.ni.com/asean/training.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(3,107 Views)

Hi Gerrald,

I am not the same user as afai but after reading one of his post, i think we share the same problem. I wish to attend any training that is available so that i could finish up my project by end of july. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(3,099 Views)

Hi YG_sg,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. If you are interested in attending customer trainings, feel free to contact our customer education team. They will assist you in choosing the best training course for your project needs. On another note, did you find the solution that I posted in afai's link useful? Maybe you can also try following the instructions that I attached there. It is very detailed and I believe you can learn a lot by performing the provided steps. Thank you for your continued interest in our training courses and products.

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(3,094 Views)

Hi Gerrald,

I have seen and follow what you have written on afai post regarding encoder. I did managed to get the signal but it seems to be in scan mode. I need to configure it to become an FPGA programme and I think I need to make changes from the Scan mode.vi. Can you guide me through this?

Thanks,

YQ_sg

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(3,080 Views)

Hi YQ_sg,

It's good to hear that you are now able to acquire the signals. You can configure the VI into FPGA mode by following this part of step 9:

"Choose the LabVIEW FPGA Interface radial button if the example requires the use of the FPGA. This mode requires development of an FPGA VI and IO will only be exposed to the real-time application if the FPGA VI is developed to allow it. Choose this mode an application only if the speed, determinism and reliability provided by an FPGA application is required."

For the FPGA VI and IO, you may run through the steps in this page to have a guide throughout the development process:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3921 

This is another FPGA resource that might help you: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6358

You may consult with me if your have problems along the way. Hope this helps you implement your program faster. Thank you. 

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(3,076 Views)

Hi Gerrad,

So must I create a new project under the FPGA mode is it? Or I could just modify NI 94XX-Scan Mode into a FPGA file? Because when just change the scan mode into fpga, it seems to not working. I am confuse.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(3,065 Views)

Hi YQ_sg,

If you follow the instructions in the Using this Example file, then you would be able to create a new Target Device (which is your cRIO). By doing this, you can change the programming mode from scan mode to FPGA mode. However, since you will have to create and use a different VI than that of the scan mode VI, you may access the FPGA files shown in the screen shots in the Using this Example file under Find Examples>Toolkits and Modules>FPGA>CompactRIO>Module Specific>Analog Input>NI 9211 Getting Started. Notice that this example is tailor made for the 9211 module. However, the only difference between 9211 with 9411 is that it has analog inputs rather than digital ones. To compensate for this, you just need to select the appropriate channels where you are connecting your encoder to. You can do this by follwoing steps 20 and 21 but instead of selecting TC channels, you will be selecting your digital input channels.

Best Regards,
Gerrald Mateo
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(3,051 Views)