LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with the Unit Test Framework

Solved!
Go to solution

I have one particular application that could REALLY benefit from unit testing, as it's heavily "algorithm" related and I need a ton of corner cases tested to ensure that future updates don't break older code. This code is also OOP, so I wound up with a lot of setup and teardown code. Unfortunately, I came to the same realization that the built in toolkit is only good for minimal stuff, as I'd have code fail tests, then close/reopen the project, then it'd pass the same tests! There was some kind of issue that I never could figure out that would cause the part that set the front panel values to fail some of the time. It seemed like it was related to having the VI open when I ran the test, but I couldn't ever pin it down. Eventually I gave up 😞 Glad to see there are other toolkits out there, as I definitely need the tests but the built-in system was way more trouble than it was worth.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(175 Views)

>> I noticed the article says you prefer VI Tester (back in 2020) but now you're liking Caraya more. Why the shift?

It does vary a bit depending on the application - and as BertMcMahan says, if there's a bit of common set-up and tear-down then the structure of VI Tester is helpful and worth taking advantage of

I've mainly started using Caraya for turning ad-hoc test VIs I was already building into 'proper' unit tests.  You can always build shared helper VIs for Caraya tests, it just doesn't help you out there

Cheers
Brett

Senior Software Development Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
https://theLonelyAnt.com

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(166 Views)