LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Everyone, Sorry if it is off of the topic. I want to transit my current job ( as engineering technician ) to a LabView developer.

I have a degree in Computer science and have many years experienced in building prototype test fixtures, automation, Lab. I need some guides or paths on how to become a LabView developer. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,586 Views)

This will give you lots to look over: https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/Getting_Started 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,582 Views)

I traveled that road, myself.  Download and install LabVIEW Community Edition (CE) on your computer at home - it's LV Pro for free (for private use only) so you can take the online courses.  I would recommend studying for, and obtaining your CLD.  This is important because then you can compete with developers who have many more years of experience than you.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,563 Views)

When you mean"  the online courses"? Did you refer it to those online course which offers by NI? Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,491 Views)

First, becoming a Certified LabVIEW Developer is really an important step.   See the Certifcation Board https://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/bd-p/Certification (you may even find a nice Community Nugget by yours truly on becoming a CLD)

Second, remain focused on safety.  You might even change your alias (sowat sounds like "So What") and you want too project a serious image .  Yes, engineering managers look at online activities. 

Next, promote your Engineering Tech skills! That knowledge of test methods and practices can really set you apart from the average progrmmer.

Brush up on statistics and process control.

Buy a nice tie.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,482 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

First, becoming a Certified LabVIEW Developer is really an important step.   See the Certifcation Board https://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/bd-p/Certification (you may even find a nice Community Nugget by yours truly on becoming a CLD)

Second, remain focused on safety.  You might even change your alias (sowat sounds like "So What") and you want too project a serious image .  Yes, engineering managers look at online activities. 

Next, promote your Engineering Tech skills! That knowledge of test methods and practices can really set you apart from the average progrmmer.

Brush up on statistics and process control.

Buy a nice tie.

I have to second promoting the Engineering Tech skills.  Nothing more formidable than a LabVIEW programmer with test experience and hands-on experience with the instruments they will be working with!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,474 Views)

I'd contact local alliance members and\or local NI offices. When allowed, visit local user group meetings. Ask there.

With proper guidance, mindset and a technical background, you could learn 70% of every day programming skills in months. The other 30% could take decades. This is hard to do on your own. Sometimes we're looking for experienced programmers, but enthusiasm and complementary skills can be enough. 

Message 8 of 12
(1,424 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

I'd contact local alliance members and\or local NI offices. When allowed, visit local user group meetings. Ask there.

With proper guidance, mindset and a technical background, you could learn 70% of every day programming skills in months. The other 30% could take decades. This is hard to do on your own. Sometimes we're looking for experienced programmers, but enthusiasm and complementary skills can be enough. 

Well said!  Apparently with about 20 years experience,  I am right on track learning that other 30% 😄

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,416 Views)

Thank you so much for your inputs.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,235 Views)