LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I fix my volume communication with a syringe pump?

Hello, 

Attached to this discussion is my script. So lately, I've been working on connecting 2 dual channel chemyx fusion 4000x syringe pumps. I managed to control them each channel independently using my script. Each channel works perfectly, the only issue I'm having is that every time I put the volume input in my script it would not change in the pump, but my rate would. for example, if I put in my software vol= 500ul @3.5ul/min, in the pump would only change the rate. besides that, in pump one channel 1 works perfectly but channel 2 of pump one is the one having the problem stated. in pump 2 channel 2 is the one who has the problem stated before too.

can someone please help me solve this issue and figure out what is wrong?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(559 Views)

Hey! I just want to add that I recently realized that when I apply the volume in my script the syringe pump will detect it and I would be shown in the syringe pump screen only if one the other channel is off/not running at the same time. if both channels are running the volume won't work on neither channel.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(541 Views)

Several comments:

• Thanks for attaching your VIs.  However, as not everyone runs the "latest version", it is helpful to save the VIs so that earlier versions (such as LabVIEW 2019 or 2021) can read them (use "Save for Previous Version").
  • How do you communicate with the syringe pump?  I'm guessing that you have a USB connection to the pump(s).  Could you tell us the Manufacturer and Model number of your pumps?  Maybe we can find a manual for them.
  • The symptoms you are describing makes it sound like your program is only communicating using a single I/O port, and "gets confused" if there are more than one pump being controlled.  I know it is possible to communicate with multiple identical devices connected to multiple Serial Ports (I developed such a routine almost a decade ago, but haven't looked at it recently), but don't know how you have connected your two pumps to your one computer-running-LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(533 Views)

Hi Bob,

To communicate with the Chemyx Fusion 4000x dual channel syringe pumps, I am using one USB A to B cable per pump. I had to rename the cables to COM2 and COM12 in order for the program to read them. I validated the cables using NI Max.

All of the commands work perfectly fine, except for volume communication. Both channels work perfectly fine for each pump when I set the volume using the syringe pump's display. However, when I try to set the volume using my program, only one channel works. This is the same issue for both pumps.

I can run both pumps at the same time using different USB A to B cables and connecting them to different ports on my computer. I also had to change the baud rate to 115200 to get the system to work.

I have tried going into the internal panel and changing the volume setting from single pump to channel 1 or channel 2, but it still does the same thing.

If I turn off the pumps and turn them back on, they will both work perfectly fine, as well as the channels and the volume. However, after 3-4 minutes, the volume setting will only work in one of the channels for each pump. I also wanted to add that I just realized that when I apply the volume in my script, the syringe pump will detect it and show it on the syringe pump screen, but only if one of the other channels is off/not running at the same time. If both channels are running, the volume won't work on either channel.

I am attaching the manual for the syringe pump to this forum.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(526 Views)

here is a 2019 version of my code

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(447 Views)