LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know which VIs are marked as to require descendants to override?

I have some object classes which have some VIs which must be overriden by child classes, and some which don't.

Currently, the only way I know of to find out if a given VI is marked to be overridden is by going to "Class Properties" -> "Item Settings" and then browsing on each VI individually and inspecting if the little checkbox is checked or not.

This is quite cumbersome, and for a complex program could prove unmanageable.

Is there a way to either (a) get a list of the VIs and there "must override" state or (b) see the state of each visually, perhaps via a small icon glyph on the icon in the VI or Class hierarchy views?  I would prefer (b), because that would be much easer to interpret quickly and is more in line with Labview's graphical programming nature.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,563 Views)

I don't think there is a visible attribute which can be displayed in the LV class. However I would recommend that you use virtual folders to organize things. Its not perfect but it would accomplish what you are looking for. You will need to be diligent to place the methods in the correct virtual folders though.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,551 Views)

thanks for the reply.

that's what I was afraid of.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,544 Views)

When you right-click on a class and choose "New VI For Override" you'll get a list of all the VIs that you can override, and the Must Override ones are marked with an asterisk.  Does that help?  However, it won't show you VIs for which the override method is already defined, and if all the child methods are already defined then the menu option isn't available at all.

Message 4 of 4
(2,539 Views)