LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to measure frequency of agilent 53131A counter without losing resolution

I am trying to read the frequency of agilent 53131A counter but I get the reading in labview with a loss of resolution. I only see the first 4 digits although I should read 10 digits. (I am using the 53131 driver downloaded from ni web site as the labview program.) How can I see the rest of the digits?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,157 Views)
Right click on the indicator that shows the frequency and select Format and Precision. Adjust as needed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,151 Views)
I already did the precision adjustment. But it is not the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,143 Views)
If the counter's display is only showing the 4 four digits, then the driver hasn't been updated since I last used the instrument. The number of digits displayed goes to four after a reset. The old driver that I have doesn't have a function to change this and it was necessary to send a command with a VISA Write function to change it. Looking at the old program that uses the counter, the command is ':FREQ:ARM:STOP:DIG n' where n is the number of digits. You'll probably want to confirm this with your programming manual because I'm not sure this would apply to all types of measurments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,146 Views)

Hi, I have the same problem. I do in the following way: 1. Initizialize 2. Recall a setup 3. send the command "FREQ:ARM:STOP:DIG n", the instrument receive the command and  show me the n digit plus *.

Please, can someone give me more info?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,043 Views)
Sorry I miss some word:

Hi, I have the same problem. I do in the following way: 1. Initizialize 2. Recall a setup 3. send the command "FREQ:ARM:STOPIG n", the instrument receives the command and  shows me the n digit 4. Measure, but it still measure with 4 digits plus *.

Please, can someone give me more info?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,053 Views)

I had the same problem when running the example VI (HP5313xA Config Channels.vi) downloaded from NI.  However, if I just run the "HP 5313xA Read a measurement.vi" without running the "HP5313xA Config Channels.vi" it returns the full resolution (10 digits in my case). 

I believe the problem is that the Config VI switches the gate to 4 digits instead of AUTO, but I never figured out how to change the Config vi, so I just set the counter up manually and then use the read VI with LabVIEW.

Message 7 of 9
(4,664 Views)

that fixed it don't run the configure vi

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,369 Views)

Try using :MEAS:FREQ? <expected>, <precision> instead. It ignored the number of digits in the config for me.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,139 Views)