LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to programmatically delete any record from MAX of a USB device when it is not connected?

Hello, I have an executable that is running in a manufacturing floor and it is all about printing labels in a Zebra printer connected via USB. The software looks for a printer under the name of "Zebra" (see attached image). If the printer needs to be replaced, the new printer would have to be named "Zebra" to work with the software. Turns out MAX remembers the serial number that had the Zebra name assigned, making it impossible to rename the new printer under Zebra. The only way to delete the old printer's info is while connected to the PC. The problem comes when old printer is disconnected and even lost in the maintenance cage. So the question is, Is there a way to programmatically delete any record from MAX of a USB device when it is not connected?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,264 Views)

This looks right

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,236 Views)

It is not programmatically, but in MAX expand the Software section and click on NI-VISA.  There should be a tab for VISA Options.  In the resulting tree, you can select Aliases.  Now you can delete the alias to the USB device.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,222 Views)

Thank you Crossrulz, although I wasn't able to find the NI-VISA options expanding the "software" tag I was able to find it under "tools" reading the following link.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B089F9352D262EE686256F1100001EE0

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,205 Views)

This is not an answer to your specific question but may give you another way of accomplishing the task of printing to USB printers.

I have a similar setup where I am printing to Zebra printers via USB.  However I am not using VISA at all.  If you share the printer, and give it a share name, you can use a cmd prompt to send a text file to the printer. 

cmd /c copy %filename% \\%computername%\%printershare%

If you have to swap out printers, you only need to un-share the old printer and share the new one with the same share name. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,203 Views)

Functions -> Measurement I/O -> System Configuration -> Utilities -> Delete

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,179 Views)