LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "word wrap" tips & Description on Listbox?

Hi all,

I have a problem in displaying Tips(For long texts) which occured during Runtime in List Box. This Tip's is nothing but current cell's details.

As default the tip's get truncated at the border of LabVIEW Window, so basically that to be wraped to next line.

Please tell me how to wrap the text on the Tip's, this will help the user to view the entire details as wraped text.

Please see the attachment for screen shots.

With Regards,

Suresh S 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,582 Views)

1.pngSuresh,

instead of directly writing the tip strip(on the FP of the controls) use the propert "tipstrip". with this propery you can format the tipstrip string so that it can be within the FP boundary.

Run the attached vi for the difference

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,560 Views)

Hi Guru,

Thanks for your information.

In my senerio when the user keeps mouse over particular cell on listbox the Tip's occurs, that tip containts details of particular cell of listbox. that must be word wrap

Note : it is not the entire Listbox's Tip & Description

I have attached the VI, please run it and place your mouse on Column-B, Row-1, you can see the runtime tips(which is nothing but that cell detail), i need to word wrap that details.

File is in LV 8.6 Version

Thanks,

Suresh S

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,543 Views)

Suresh,

I dont think that it is possible.

As a work around yOu can to format the string to be displayed in the list box. (before writing to the "itemnames" property) or make sure that the row width is sufficient to hold the entire display string

Guru 

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,519 Views)

Hi Guru,

Thank you for your suggestion, Please let me know if any other options are available

Regards,

Suresh S

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,482 Views)

As a simple solution ,you can provide a "string indiactor/control" (at bottom or on top of the list box) that can be populated with the approproiate message when the coreesponding cell/row on the list box. (You can make use of the property nodes to get the currently selected row/cell).

And do remeber that there are other solutions as well which may be better. This is what came to my mind as of now...

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,457 Views)

Hi suresh,

I had faced same problem.

I was reading data from Excel sheet and was displaying it in "tree indicator".

Suppose this is my line " My name is xyz and I am studying in CBZ college from x years with my friends" (Just any sentence)

Suppose it is not fitting in indicator I had simply modified it as shown below,

" My name is xyz and I am studying in (ALT+ENTER)

CBZ college from x years with my friends"

It shows this sentence in two lines in Tree indicator.

May be you can try this.

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,449 Views)

Hello GaK,

i guess its not possible to issue a "enter" or "ALT+enter" to the "tip" of the "description and tip" from the FP iteself.

Regards
Guru (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,446 Views)

oh...Smiley Sad......may be you are right.

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,440 Views)

Hi guru,

I just tried,

If your string is larger than the size of listbox indicator, then you face this problem of tip strip.

But if you display larger string using two lines, tip strip does not appear.

Have you tried this?

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,438 Views)