LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including the RunTime Engine in a build

I have retired but my firm is still running my test applications I built in LabVIEW 2015.  My problem is that one of the installations has put in a new computer running Windows 7.  I sent them my builds for Windows 7 but they can't find a RunTime Engine on line that doesn't require a license.  I see many items on line about including the RunTime Engine in the build but for the life of me, I can't see how to do it.  Instructions for how to do this are not clear and very confusing.  The applications are very basic.  They use all NI hardware and vi code.  Nothing special.  Any help?

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 38
(7,577 Views)

Once you have built an "application (exe)", you should build an installer from that.

1. Right Click 'Build Specifications' and select 'Installer'
  2. The 'Source File' should be your EXE build specification
  3. Go to 'Additional Installers', there you will see NI LabVIEW Runtime <year> <version>
Message 2 of 38
(7,568 Views)

You need to make an installer. Pretty much the same way you've created the executable. On the project tree item "Build Specifications", right click and select "Installer". Then you'd get an installer that will (optionally, but by default) install the run time engine (and other things you might not need).

I haven't tried, but the online runtime engine should not need a license.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 38
(7,567 Views)

None of the LabVIEW run time engines require a license, but they typically require a NI profile to download (see also). If they don't want to do that, download it yourself and give it to them.

Do you use certain modules or toolkits that require a run time license?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 38
(7,538 Views)

I don't think so.  I have a DAQ Asst Module that talks to the NI front end.  I really can't figure out what they are looking for to build the Installer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 38
(7,513 Views)

DAQ Assistant will also require DAQmx run-time license.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 38
(7,503 Views)

OK, so now I have an installer that is supposed to include the DAQmx drivers and the Run Time Engine.  It's in a folder call 'Volume'.  Inside that folder is the installer as well as support files.  The installer file is only 1.4 mBytes.  The original application was over 4 mBytes.  Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 38
(7,494 Views)

@Coryman wrote:

The installer file is only 1.4 mBytes.

(That's too small. 1.4milliBytes is much less than even a single bit :D)

What's the size of the support folder?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 38
(7,486 Views)

I think I have it!  I am sending the entire 'volume' folder over and it is 492 MBytes.  How's that?  The volume folder has the support files.  Didn't know that was part of what needs to be sent to run the installer. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 38
(7,469 Views)

It was 1.4 MBytes.  Yes, without the support files.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 38
(7,468 Views)