LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer corrupts on with no D drive

Hello,

I have created an installer for my LabVIEW application.

Most computers at my work has 😧 drive as hdd-partition reserved for installed programs.
For this reason, I decided to use D:\ in my installer default installation directory (see attachment).

However, there are some computer which use letter 😧 for DVD, CD device.

In such a case, my installer corrupts with the message in attachment.

I dont want to change the default directory out of 😧 drive (because it is more convenient in most cases) and i dont want to create two separate installers, one for C: drive and one for 😧 drive.
Is there any way how to resolve my problem? For example if there is no valid 😧 drive on the computer, then the installer will reset the default installation directory to C:\Program Files without crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Martin Vlček

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,976 Views)

You should be using a path that has the [Program Files] token in it rather than hardcoding the path.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,937 Views)

Thank You very much for reply.

However, this doesnt solve my problem.

There is Program Files folder placed on the same location C:\Program Files on both types of PCs- regardless if there is some 😧 partition or not.

We use in our factory convention, that the special programs used at work should be installed on 😧 drive, if there is some.

Best regards,

Martin Vlček 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,917 Views)

Probably the easiest thing to do is configure your development PC to be the same as your target PC.  Move your CD/DVD drive to another drive letter and map a network drive to "D:".  I'm not sure if redirects work well with installers.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,901 Views)

That's a good idea Bill.

Actually, for a machine that only has a single harddrive (c:), you should be able to map (d:) to it as well.  I haven't done it in a very long time, but I think you can map multiple letters to the same physical drive.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,886 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

That's a good idea Bill.

Actually, for a machine that only has a single harddrive (c:), you should be able to map (d:) to it as well.  I haven't done it in a very long time, but I think you can map multiple letters to the same physical drive.

Wow, I never thought of that.  If you dont hear from me in about a month, it's because I had to reformat my hard drive.  😉

edit: nope, not gonna try it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,873 Views)

I seem to recall something about installers not liking a drive created with the subst command.  It might be if you try to install FROM one, like faking a CD drive.  Maybe you can still get away with installing TO a drive created with subst.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,864 Views)