LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer problem Serial Runtime 15.0

Hi everybody,

I'm using Labview 2015 on windows 10. I've already created an application and now I would like to make it an installer. In my application I read data from VISA ports so I need the Serial Runtime for my installer. The problem is that it could not be found. I've attached a screenshot of the problem.

I've already tryed to install it again but nothing changes.. Any idea?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,743 Views)

Open MAX, click on Software, and see if Serial Runtime 15.0 shows up in the list (it does on my machine).  If it is missing, update your drivers and be sure to include not only VISA, but also Serial (I've made this mistake ...).  If it is present, then something is clearly not working "as you expect" ...

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 13
(4,733 Views)

Unfortunately NI Serial Runtime is present in MAX (see screenshot)....

Should I disinstall all my NI software and re-install it again?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,716 Views)

I would recommend waiting a day (it is Labor Day in the US, where many people have a "day off" from "Labor") and see if you get suggestions specific to creating Installers.  I have to confess I've never built an Installer, so am uncertain what problems can arise.  I have installed Executables on other PCs, but generally also install the LabVIEW RunTime Engine -- this combination seems to work -- however, I can't be certain that my code specifically involved Serial RunTime.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,711 Views)

Thank you very much in any case! 

I will try to install LabView on another laptop to see if I could create an installer from there by now...

Any other suggestion is well accepted! 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,705 Views)

Are you sure you need NI-Serial Runtime?  I believe you only need that if you are using NI Brand serial ports.  If you are using internal serial ports, or USB/serial converters from other manufacuturers, then you only need to install their drivers.

Have you begun the creation of the insaller?  You probably have the NI-Serial runtime already on your development PC, but it probably did not cache the installer for that run-time, which is why you are getting this dialog box.  If you start creating the installer, at some point it will pause and ask you to put in your  NI-DVD's that contain the installer for the run-time, then it will package up the installer with the installer you are creating for your application.

Message 6 of 13
(4,704 Views)
-If you have the discs for the same during build it will prompt and you can point to the drives(Insert External media which has the Serial Runtime). -Sometime back i got similar this issue but when you insert the disc and point it will load the runtime. Edit: Didn't notice RavensFan message 🙂
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,698 Views)

Thank you RavensFan!

I'm actually using only internal serial ports and USB/serial converters not manufactured by NI.

I was trying to install NI-Serial Runtime 15.0 because it was included in the " recommended installers list", as you can see from the screenshot above.

Should I try to include in my installer only Labview Runtime 2015 and VISA Runtime 15.5?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,695 Views)

I've excluded NI Serial Runtime 15.0 and now it ask me to point to NI System Components. 

Are these necessary in my installer?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,691 Views)

I would say you should only need LabVIEW runtime and NI-VISA runtime (unless there are other things in your code like DAQmx you haven't mentioned.)

Offhand, I don't know exactly what things are related to NI System Components.

Have you tried finishing the installer and actually insert your installation discs when it asks for them?

Message 10 of 13
(4,644 Views)