LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabVIEW 2023Q3 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this issue, but a search of these boards and Google was fruitless.

I've got a machine running Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB. When I try to install the latest LabVIEW (2023Q3), I get an error that says the installer requires Windows 10 64-bit (version 1607) or newer. I've installed all Windows updates on this machine, so it's running the latest available. What can I do to get LabVIEW installed? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,565 Views)

I guess one obvious question is: "Is your version of windows x64?"  Sorry, sometimes it's the obvious questions that you forget about.  Also, look here for more reasons why your version of Windows may not qualify.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,556 Views)

Fair question, I should have included that from the start. Yes, it's 64-bit Windows running on an x64 i7-7700.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,548 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jesse_at_DMT

NI software released in 2023 Q1 and later only support a base OS where .NET framework (4.8) can be installed, which is 1607 for LTSB. I believe that your version is Windows 10 2015 LTSB which has a mainstream end date of Oct 13, 2020 and an extended end date of Oct 14, 2025.

Earlier versions of LabVIEW prior to 2023 Q1 should not have this .NET installation requirement so they might install on 1507.

Note that NI has online and offline installers. Online installers install the latest NIPM version which currently require 1607, so you likely need to download and install the offline version of our installers.

Scott Richardson
Message 4 of 9
(1,506 Views)

Thanks for the additional detail, Scott! Since I don't think I can download older versions of LabVIEW, I went down the path and upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC, and then I was able to install LabVIEW 2023 without issue.

Message 5 of 9
(1,495 Views)

Great to hear you are unblocked, thanks!

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,422 Views)

@Jesse_at_DMT wrote:

Thanks for the additional detail, Scott! Since I don't think I can download older versions of LabVIEW, I went down the path and upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC, and then I was able to install LabVIEW 2023 without issue.

Nice!  You can consider your post above to be a solution as well, since that is the fix in action.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,298 Views)

Hi

Thanks to Scott to point to the .NET requirement, which is easily forgotten.

However, neither LabVIEW 2023 Q1 -nor- Q3 require 4.8, but still rely on 4.6.2 ( used since LV 2017 ) according to the LabVIEW 2023 Q1 ( and Q3 ) Readme :

Automating the Installation of NI Products

You can automate the installation of most NI products using command-line arguments to suppress some or all of the installer user interface and dialog boxes.

If the NI product you are installing uses Microsoft .NET 4.6.2, the .NET installer may run before any NI software installs and may require a reboot before the installation of NI software begins. To avoid a .NET reboot, install .NET 4.6.2 separately before you install NI software.

I assume that LabVIEW 2023 does require 4.8, except the documentation has not been updated.

This website also needs an update ( stops at LV 2022 Q3 ) :

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kHmTSAU&l=da-DK

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,275 Views)

Henning, NI Package Manager has always preinstalled .NET for any NI software that requires it, and now NIPM installs 4.8 for the few software that depend on it. LabVIEW as of yet does not require 4.8, but LabVIEW does depend on a version of NIPM that does.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,214 Views)