LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instruments appear in MAX but not in LabVIEW

Hello,

I am setting up a new PC to control some Agilent instruments via an Agilent 82357B USB GPIB interface with LabVIEW.

On the web I found this: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/3B3626D9C1F999218625694200791AD7

So I installed LabVIEW 2016, NI VISA and the latest Keysight IO Libraries as secondary VISA (after this topic http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/GPIB-VISA-problem-LV2014-and-Keysight-IO-Libraries/m-p/3301479/highl...).

Things seemed to work when I started NI MAX, the two devices show up. I can send GPIB commands and read the answer.
With LabVIEW I use the VISA resource name to select a device. Unfortunately there the list is empty and even a refresh does not show any port or device. If I type the GPIB address manually I can run the VI without error.

I searched the community but only find threads where devices don't show up in MAX. I see my devices in MAX but not in LabVIEW though.

If I record the GPIB communication with IO Trace I get the following:

> 3.  viFindRsrc (0x0B27CC08, "?*", 0x00000000, 0, "")
> Process ID: 0x0000158C         Thread ID: 0x00000B10
> Start Time: 14:24:26.110       Call Duration 00:00:00.168
> Status: 0xBFFF003A (VI_ERROR_INV_SETUP)

Unable to start operation because setup is invalid (due to attributes being set to an inconsistent state).

Could anybody give me a hint how to show the instruments in LV as well?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,215 Views)

Have you looked at the filtering that is on the VISA resource name control ? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,183 Views)

With the information you provided, I'd suspect you installed a version of VISA that isn't compatible with LV 2016.

This would allow the devices to show to the computer, so you'd see them in MAX.  But, it wouldn't work with LV, so you'd have an empty list. 

All you've stated is "NI-VISA" so I can't confirm this suspicion.  Which version did you install?  Check the readme for that version to see if LV 2016 is included as a supported version.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,178 Views)

Hi,

You should also install NI-Serial Runtime.  Also as mentioned before make sure they are the right runtimes for the version of labview for that application.  Ive seen this several times, this usually fixes the issue.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,163 Views)

Thanks for all your comments!

I checked the filtering in LabVIEW, it should show all devices. But as natasftw suspected I had VISA 15 installed. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it with VISA 16, but the problem still occurs.

On NI I didn't find the actual version of Serial Runtime, only the 15 version. Does anybody know where I could find it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,131 Views)