LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it the computer? the software? or the PIC controller?

I am having trouble getting the computer to communicate with a PIC controller. The particular program I am using was designed and used by someone before me. It was written using LabVIEW 5.1. However, I am using windows 98 and labview 8 (student edition). This equiptment and program was successfully used previously. I have all the hardware, software etc that they used except for the actual computer and their version of LabVIEW. The computer I am using is very old though. My problem is that I have no idea if the computer, the software or the hardware is at fault.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might solve this problem? Or if there is any other information I need to provide to help in troubleshooting?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,002 Views)
AFAIK, LabView 8 only supports Windows 2000 and XP.

Message Edited by pincpanter on 11-03-2006 05:07 PM

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,991 Views)

Very Sorry, the computer is actually running Windows 2000.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,987 Views)
You should provide more details:
- how are you trying to communicate? Serial? If yes, did you install the VISA serial drivers
- do you get any error code?
Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,985 Views)
I am using a serial connection. I do not think I installed VISA serial drivers (does that come with the student edition?). Admittedly I am very new at LabVIEW. I do not get an error code. When I start the program it doesn't do anything and it stops when the stop button is pushed (there is no lag time).
If i didn't mention, the program was written using LabVIEW 5.1 but the license on the copy I currently have expired.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,935 Views)
You should have NI MAX installed on your PC (Measurement and Automation eXplorer). Open it and expand the Software node; NI-VISA should be present in the list.
If not, get the NI Driver CD (not the LabView CD) and install VISA or at least its Serial support segment.
If VISA is already installed, there may be some error in the code, can you post it?
Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,931 Views)
Well apparently, the department that sent us the LabVIEW software did not include the driver CD. So VISA is not installed and it'll be a little while before I'll be able to get my hands on the CD. Additonally, I am not allowed to post the code for the public. I can say, however, that the code does not contain any of the VISA VIs only serial port writer VIs. I am guessing that's a problem.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,917 Views)
All serial communications are based on VISA from 7.0 at least.
The serial vi's you are using are designed for compatibilty with older versions.
If you open any of them, you will able to see the underlying VISA calls.
Paolo
-------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,891 Views)