LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Wire Delimited spreadsheet.vi" the same as " Write to Spreadsheet File.vi" ?

Solved!
Go to solution

I can not find the " Write to Spreadsheet File.vi" in 2015 Labview. I used to have 2012 but now I can not find it! I can see some others with similar icon so I thought "Wire Delimited spreadsheet.vi"  is the same but when I read the help It does not seem the same! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,699 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SilasIII

They are essentially the same thing. NI changed the name because so many people thought that you could read/write from/to excel. Adding the word Delimited makes it a little more specific.

What are you seeing that is the difference?

Write Delimited Spreadsheet

Write to Spreadsheet File

They should create the same file if the same inputs are used. Have you tried it?

The new Vi includes the error clusters because the old Spreadsheet File version used automatic error handkling (yuck).

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 6
(6,693 Views)

This change came about from these two ideas:

Rename Read and Write Spreadsheet file

Revision of many VIs written by NI (usage of the error cluster)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 6
(6,671 Views)

Thank you for your response, in the older version I could initialize the 1D input with string to give title to each column of my data but in the new one it does not accept the string. How should I do that?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,600 Views)
This sounds like something to do with your code, not this VI. The old and new version of the VI have the same inputs.

Maybe you should share the old code that you are having issues with updating and expect to operate a different way.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,585 Views)

@SilasIII wrote:

Thank you for your response, in the older version I could initialize the 1D input with string to give title to each column of my data but in the new one it does not accept the string. How should I do that?

That still works. The new version is equally polymorphic.

However, it needs to be a 1D string array, not a plain string.

As before, you need two sequential write operations: first the 1D array of strings, then the 2D array of dbl or whatever. (you cannot wire a 1D array of string and a 2D array of DBL to the same write operation unless you made a custom VI to do just that).

Please show us a simplified version your code?

Message 6 of 6
(6,498 Views)