LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LABVIEW PROJECT SLOWDOWN

HI EVERYONE

I have been in this forum for the past 1 and a half year and u all helped me in building my labview software with all ease.I had a great experience being in this forum.

and developed most of my learning skill in labview from here.

Now i have successfully created my project and it been installed and executed.But i still know that its not properly coded from the rules of labview software development and it slowdown my software, were after a 2 months time its getting slowing down.

Here i have a SPINDLE 2.xlsx database file were my datas are stored. But the size of the excel gets increased and takes time for execution.While dumping the data to the SPINDLE 2.xlsx excel file,it pop ups and pop down and the user screen is disturbed during that time.Now when the excel file gets bigger, the user screen is not at all seen as it pop up slowly and pop down slowly and covering all the screen data that i cant see.

Can anyone here help me out, further how can i move forward to solve this issue.To make my software act faster. and avoiding that excel pop up and down.

Im attaching my labview software (labview 2011).Put all the program files in a folder and run the sofware.

If u want to c the whole process of execution, I have attached a manual for the execution and u can use sample text files one by one to put them in the selected "Spindle configuration" path folder.

HOPE FOR A POSITIVE RESPONSE

SUDHIN SUDH

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,276 Views)

The solution is simple: do not use Excel files to store data! Use TDMS files instead, faster cleaner easier... (and if you really need to, you can open the TDMS files in Excel, using a free plugin).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,258 Views)

THANKS FOR UR QUICK REPLY

Have you seen my VI and its working.What may be other places were i can correct it, to make it simpler and faster in execution.

Thanks 

Sudhin sudh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,224 Views)

You really need to learn how to write sub-VIs and to "organize" your code.  This has got to be one of the largest Block Diagrams I have ever seen -- I estimate it would take an array of 10 x 15 = 150 monitors to view it all!  Note that viewing less than 1% of a total Block Diagram at a time is an extremely tedious process that makes it almost impossible to understand Program Flow.

You didn't say whether "seeing" the Excel Worksheet during the execution of your code was important or not.  If you open an Excel Report "minimized" (so Excel never shows itself), it runs considerably faster.

We had an application where an Excel Worksheet "drove" the Experiment (each row of about 100 entries were the parameters for a trial, with about 20 entries at the end of the row reserved for Trial Outcomes).  The Users wanted to see the Worksheet (to see which trial was being performed), but it still took a fraction of a second per line.  In other instances where Excel was just used as a simple means of saving data (for studies where the Experimenter knew no LabVIEW, but could use Excel), we had no trouble achieving reasonable data rates running a "minimized" Excel Report.  We were also using a more recent version of LabVIEW than 2011 ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,221 Views)

Thank you Bob Schor....

Can u give me some tips on were and all i can use special codes to make my coding easier.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,183 Views)

@sudhin_sudh wrote:

Thank you Bob Schor....

Can u give me some tips on were and all i can use special codes to make my coding easier.

Thank you

He just did:

You really need to learn how to write sub-VIs and to "organize" your code.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,170 Views)

Thank you sir, for your reply

I learned to create sub vi and now i want to know how to organise my coding here........... .Any particular method that i can use.I saw master slave method, but i dont how to  bring that architecture in my coding.  

THank you

SUDHIN SUDH

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,167 Views)

I would suggest to take the Core 1 and 2 online training: http://www.ni.com/training/online/

If you have an active LabVIEW license, you can access these for free.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,163 Views)

Without having looked into your sourcecode let me take a shot in the blue:
If you are using Excel then you certainly have opened loads of references. Projects that slow down over time have issues with open references in most cases. Another indicator for such problems is growing memory use over time, not necessarily grow of handles in the windows taskmanager. (You could search for them with the desktop execution trace toolkit but as you haven't had any NI training before this seems like swimming in too deep water to begin with.)

Start to follow all references you created anywhere (VI references, Open files, Notifiers, Queues, ...) and CLOSE/RELEASE ALL OF THEM after you are done using them. Especially if you are opening them within a loop then you have to close them within the loop as well. The same for ANY reference/object that comes out of a ActiveX/.NET node. If you move a reference into a loop, do so via a shift register and move it out again.

Once you are finished doing it, go through your code again and find the cases you missed the first time.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,149 Views)