LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2010 will not install on Win XP SP3

Solved!
Go to solution

I have made several attempts to install LabVIEW 2010 on Win XP SP3. I already have LabVIEW 2009 installed and working.

For each attempt I accept the default install options and do not put in a serial number. The first attempt got stuck at 2% complete and did not change for 30 minutes. No error messages. I cancelled the install and tried the install again from setup.exe.

The next two attempts stall at 0% blinking forever. The 4th attempt made it to 18% before it stalled for more than 30 minutes. The next two attempts stalled at 0% repeating and would not cancel. I had to terminate them with Task Manager.

Why won't LabVIEW 2010 install without stalling before than 30 minutes? Why does it not spit out an error message instead of just stalling? How do I know why it won't install?  How do I fix it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,529 Views)

Did you download it? Perhaps you have a corrupted download. Have you tried to download it again? Have you tried installing it on another computer? Have you turned off your anti-virus? Have you made sure you don't have a hundred other processes running?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,524 Views)

I had the same problem. The 2010 install was very slow on my XP SP3  PC. I do not why, but it took very very long time to get past 2% of the setup. But then the install process speeded up. So just let the computer take the time that is needed. It will eventually install. I used the trail version download from NI

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,501 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbaechtel

I finally got LabVIEW 2010 to install.

I didn't have a corrupted download. I didn't have to turn off my antivirus. I didn't have many processes running. I turned off my computer last night and tried the setup.exe again this morning first thing. Perhaps running LabVIEW 2009 yesterday before the install left something behind that the install didn't like. Who knows?

How come the install of LabVIEW 2010 would just stall for long periods (more than 30 minutes, maybe forever) without any progress or error message?

Does LabVIEW have an install log that I could look at in these situations to see where the install gets hung up and maybe why?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,485 Views)
My install from the downloaded version was not slow on a test machine running XP SP3 (maybe faster than previous ones, even) but I somehow ended up with a corrupt MAX database.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,469 Views)

I can't even get the install to start, each time I double click "setup.exe" I get error: this is not valid Win32 application.  It is, in fact, 32 bit and I've downloaded three times to make sure file integrity is good along with media integrity.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,070 Views)

Jlegoland,

Which file are you downloading and where are you saving it to?  Do you have any other versions of LabVIEW already installed?  Making sure that you are on an administrator account and that your antivirus and firewall are off can help make the installation go easier.

Have you tried installing that file on another computer and did it replicate to error?  Once I know which file you're using I can try to use the same file to install on a similar machine and get to the bottom of this.

Scott A
SSP Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,043 Views)

Thanks a million.  It turns out none of the setup files at the root worked but launching from distributions folder worked okay. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,011 Views)