LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2021 Security Warning: Run When Opened appears every time LVCompare.vi is run

Hi all,

I've just run across an issue in LabVIEW 2021's 'Behaviour for unrecognised "Run When Opened" VIs security setting.  Every time I try to diff a VI in git I get this warning

Run When Opened warning.png

I've added the signature of this VI to the permissions list - but the viGuid value is different each time it's launched, so the warning always shows up

Here's the contents of the permissions file after two different launches:

{ "schemaVersion": 1, "allowDenyList": [ { "viPath": "C:\\Program Files\\National Instruments\\Shared\\LabVIEW Compare\\supportVIs\\_prolvcmp.llb\\LVCompare.vi", "viGuid": "2d71c1a9-a62e-477b-b81d-53606c811a35", "runAllowed": true } ] }

{ "schemaVersion": 1, "allowDenyList": [ { "viPath": "C:\\Program Files\\National Instruments\\Shared\\LabVIEW Compare\\supportVIs\\_prolvcmp.llb\\LVCompare.vi", "viGuid": "2c86de2c-eebc-4653-8130-56edd4a7e893", "runAllowed": true } ] }

Aside from this VI not being automatically whitelisted as part of LabVIEW, I wouldn't expect it to be changed in between calls

My git setup calls C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe without any external scripts or helper exes, so it's a bit odd that it's ending up in an apparently separate VI

LabVIEW version is 21.0.1f1 32 bit

Anyone else seen this?  I'm hoping not to have to turn the security setting off, it seems like a good idea not to run random code automatically 🙂

Senior Software Development Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
https://theLonelyAnt.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(701 Views)

Honestly, the requirement to use to viGuid makes this feature next to useless for development work, at least in my circumstance. In my case, the primary files I would automatically allow are very likely to have been re-generated (and thus have a new viGuid), and so I am forced to disable the feature entirely. Which makes the whole new suite of functionality completely useless.

Great work, guys!

There should be an option to exempt a path regardless of the viGuid. Since, you know, I might actually control the contents of my filesystem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(489 Views)