LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW (and other NI software products) Roadmap 2023 Q1

That document is from October last year. There have been several driver releases since which added support for driver independent installation so it needs to be updated. Of course there is also a third chance beside driver adapted and driver not yet adapted, namely driver is abandoned and won’t be updated anymore!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(2,247 Views)

@EricR wrote:

I'm happy to announce NI has published the next iteration of our software roadmaps.  I'm attaching a copy to this thread.  Additionally, here is a link that should also work: https://www.ni.com/content/dam/web/pdfs/test-workflow-roadmap.pdf

Mentioning here since I don't see this in the TestStand forum that I would consider "Improved User Management" to be huge.

Filled out the survey, but there wasn't a way to rank things. A binary choice on each feature doesn't really express my opinions well.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(1,858 Views)

One thing I would like to see is true platform independence. I would like to use my MacBook to write LabVIEW code then build executables for Mac, Windows and Linux simultaneously.

I currently work for a company where the design team is a mix of Mac and Windows, the software team is mainly Linux, the production site is mainly Windows. I frequently get asked for versions of my software on different platforms.

I tend to use only Ethernet based instruments, and I had to write my own Test Executive rather than using Teststand.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(1,628 Views)

Platforms like GitHub, gitlab, etc.. can help you automate compilations on multiple platforms independently.

As this 'feature' is available elsewhere I don't think it makes sense for Emerson to integrate it in LabVIEW

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(1,614 Views)

I would like to achieve multiple platform builds using just one copy of LabVIEW, one license, on one machine.

If this is not possible then it would be nice if a single license for LabVIEW covered three installs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(1,591 Views)

Well... when you have a valid license that includes the Application Builder, you can download LabVIEW for any OS (Win/Linux/macOS)

I'm assuming the EULA allows you to compile your app for all 3 OSes, it means of course you need a computer (or VM) with each OS you're building for, am I right @EricR ?

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(1,586 Views)

The EULA allows you to buy a copy of LabVIEW and use that copy on up to 3 machines.  Those machines can all be different OSes if that is needed.  Yes, you need either the LabVIEW Professional Edition, or any edition of LabVIEW plus the Application Builder in order to build executables.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 17 of 26
(1,540 Views)

Thank you for the details!

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(1,528 Views)

Thanks for the information. I have a purchased license for LabVIEW Pro 2022 Q3. I will install LabVIEW and Windows versions in virtual machines on my Mac then I should be able to compile for all three platforms.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(1,502 Views)

@jed255 wrote:

The roadmap shows that "Driver version independence from LabVIEW" is complete but the table here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/22/extending-compatibility-between-labvi... shows that not all drivers support independence. The NI updates on this topic has been very misleading for end users and doesn't give a good idea of when the whole driver suite would be independent. Any updates on this topic that can provide some clarity?

Hi @jed255,

The table describing driver version independence has been updated to show the current state: https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/supplemental/22/extending-compatibility-between-labview-...

The Vision Development Module is the last piece that we intend to release an independent version for, and are expecting that to release in January with the next LabVIEW. As noted at the link above, RFmx and older legacy drivers are excluded from the table of expected support. Thanks!

Kayla Ashbaugh, Driver Product Management

Message 20 of 26
(1,476 Views)