LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW crashes on Create New Event Case or Edit Events Handled by this Case

Solved!
Go to solution

LabVIEW locks up every time I open the context menu for an event structure and select either "Create New Even Case" or "Edit Events Handled By This Case"

I am running LV2013 sp1. I don't know when this started happening. I've been supporting existing code so I have no idea when the last time I created an even structure was, but now it happens every time I do either of the aforementioned actions. Needless to say, now that I need to do this, it's rather crippling my capacity.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do I just need to reinstall LV?

Mitch
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,335 Views)

I suggest the following test:

1. Start LabVIEW (previously not running).
  2. Create a New VI.
  3. Put an Event Structure on the Block Diagram.
  4. Choose "Edit Events Handled by this Case".

If LabVIEW 2013 crashes under these "most vanilla" of circumstances, I'd say "Uninstall + Reinstall" (or possibly "Repair") is in order.

I've not seen this, but I run 2012 and 2014 more often than I run 2013 ...  And just to be "safe", I just did this (2013 SP1) without any problems.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,324 Views)

Yeah, thanks. I did try that and LV definitely still hangs. My coworker also runs that same LV version and his works. So did mine until some time in the unknown past. 

I guess the uninstall/reinstall is the only thing I can think of, though I sort-of hoped to avoid it.

Mitch
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,314 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Qianlong

I feel like I've read of this happening before, but I can't find the message thread.  EDIT, just found it.  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/major-error-with-event-structure/td-p/2700869

With LabVIEW closed, try renaming your LabVIEW.ini to something else (that way you still have it and can restore it if this doesn't work.)

Then start LabVIEW.  It will create a new .ini file.  See if that works.

If it does work, please post your original .ini file here.  It would be interesting to see what setting in it could have caused a problem.

Message 4 of 7
(3,295 Views)

My coworker solved this for me.  No kidding, it was the Edit Event Case pop-up window that was showing up totally off-screen. Perhaps a consequence of using my laptop external monitor as the primary in a different configuration than last time I has an external hooked-up.

I don't know if this is Windows's fault or LabVIEW's, but the sheepishness belongs all to me.

Mitch
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,251 Views)

So then the actual solution to your question was my message I gave you, not your message saying "hey my co-worker fixed it for me".  ????  Seems like you should mark my message as the solution.

Message 6 of 7
(3,237 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Qianlong

RavensFan, you were correct. Once I found the workaround (throwing the window back onto screen using the windows button + arrow keys) I didn't bother reading further.

To summarize the information in the post RavensFan has linked-to, the issue is caused by illegal values being saved to the EditEventsDlgSize entry in labview.ini

The permanent solution is to remove that line from labview.ini

Mitch
Message 7 of 7
(3,190 Views)