LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW crashes when trying to open some VIs

We have developed a few projects with LabVIEW 2015 under Windows 7. Now our IT department gives me a replacement computer running Windows 10. And we have to install LabVIEW 2015 (32 bit version) and LabVIEW 2017 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions) on this new computer. After the installation we notice that we could not open many of those VIs in the developed projects. When that fails we always get this error at attached.

Has anyone seen this before and how did you fix it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,555 Views)

It sounds like an "installation" (or installations) "gone wrong".  Here are several questions:

• Who did the original LabVIEW 2015 installation?  Do you know what version, Modules, Toolkits, and Drivers were installed?
  • Does your Project need any additional routines, DLLs, Libraries, third party routines that might be missing?
  • Where are the LabVIEW source codes kept?  Are you using a Version Control System (like Subversion or Git) to hold the definitive version of the source routines?
  • Have you given the sources to a colleague who has a current version of LabVIEW installed (and working) to see if it may be a simple as a "bad installation"?  [The Good News is that this is, in principle, easily remedied].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,536 Views)

Bob,

I did installation of LabVIEW both on the old computer being replaced and this new one. The same LabVIEW projects were OK (all files could be opened without any issues) last night on the old computer. All files were then transferred to this new computer by out IT department through the data migration. And then I installed both LabVIEW 2017 and 2015 on this new computer. Then problems occurred...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,529 Views)

@stevensung wrote:

Bob,

I did installation of LabVIEW both on the old computer being replaced and this new one. The same LabVIEW projects were OK (all files could be opened without any issues) last night on the old computer. All files were then transferred to this new computer by out IT department through the data migration. And then I installed both LabVIEW 2017 and 2015 on this new computer. Then problems occurred...

Wrong order.  Installation of LabVIEW writes many things to \projects.  Install the IDEs first and only then, checkout your projects from the source code repository. 

Yes, I said use a source code control repository and not IT to move your source code.  Otherwise,   (insert drumroll) problems may occurr... <rimshot>

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,526 Views)

As a test, close LabVIEW and rename your "LabVIEW Data" directory, then reopen.  I suspect the compiled-code cache, or some other computer-dependant thing, has been copied over.

Message 5 of 8
(2,500 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

As a test, close LabVIEW and rename your "LabVIEW Data" directory, then reopen.  I suspect the compiled-code cache, or some other computer-dependant thing, has been copied over.

Good point!  I never keep my LabVIEW sources in LabVIEW Data -- I have a "LabVIEW" folder (sits just above it in the Directory Tree) that's for "my stuff".  Indeed, to fix various things (Icons Editor Templates, Glyphs, Channel Wire snarls), I've frequently deleted some files or folders in LabVIEW Data (knowing they are "only" files NI saves there for my LabVIEW environment).  A Rename will force LabVIEW to re-create the folder, and if LabVIEW now works, you can carefully copy back your files and folders (or create a separate folder, maybe called "LabVIEW", for your stuff, not NI's).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,486 Views)

I tried this and LabVIEW still crashes when I try to open files in existing projects. I do see a new folder called "LabVIEW Data" created even after the crashing though

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,485 Views)

Such crashes should never occur, because LabVIEW should detect and handle all unexpected things gracefully. Obviously, this does not happen here and I hope you have submitted the crash report to NI. Try to open a service request and mention the crash report. Maybe they can easily identify the issue and provide an easy fox or workaround. Users here in the forum don't have the tools to troubleshoot this.

There are a couple of missing bits of information.

Are you opening the files on the new computer using LabVIEW 2015, LabVIEW 2017 32bit, or LabVIEW 2017 64 bit? (have you tried all?) The error is from LabVIEW 2015, but are all your files from that version?

Are any of your VIs or subVIs saved without block diagram?

Are your files located in very deep folder hierarchies?

I assume LabVIEW opens without any errors and the error only occurs if you open one of your files or projects. Right?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,480 Views)