LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW exe Crashes after Opening

Hello All,

My exe and LabVIEW project close immediately after opening.   Error message pasted here.  

LabVIEW 2016

Win10 Pro 64-bit OS

The project was originally built on an XP machine and was working until we moved to Win10 machine.

Any help is appreciated.  

Screenshot 2024-04-08 164237.png

- robdub42

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(215 Views)

My executable file keeps closing on its own.  Have you ever seen this error?  If so, what does it mean?  Running 2016 LabVIEW on Win10.  The project was originally built on XP machine then moved to Win10 machine.

Screenshot 2024-04-08 164237.png

- robdub42

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(173 Views)

Did you rebuild the exe using LabVIEW 2016 on Windows 10?

Installers and executables are only guaranteed to work on the operating system they are built on. Reference: Running Executables or Installers on Different Windows Versions

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(198 Views)

@robdub42 wrote:

Hello All,

My exe and LabVIEW project close immediately after opening.   Error message pasted here.  

LabVIEW 2016

Win10 Pro 64-bit OS

The project was originally built on an XP machine and was working until we moved to Win10 machine.

This could be a problem with WinXP on Dev PC, but I don't think so. You can try to build your app on same OS version.

One most crazy suggestion I ever made — try to turn off sound playing when UAC Window is appeared. But sorry, I have the only German screenshots. On the affected PC:

1. Hit Win Button, then type "Sounds":

Screenshot 2024-04-09 05.50.11.png

Then navigate to UAC and set sound to None:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 05.50.59.png

Technically your application is not signed (supposed to be not), then on the first run on Win10 PC the UAC Window should appear:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 06.00.50.png

At this time Windows tries to play sound according the settings, but unable to do this (some troubles with audio setup, drivers, etc), then error message appeared.

Refer to the article Windows 10 The extended attributes are inconsistent.

The proposed solution:

1.Right click on the sound icon beside date and time on taskbar
2.Click Sounds
3.In the Program Events find 'Windows User Access Control'. Click on it.
4.Below that you will see 'Sounds'. Click on the drop down menu of 'Sounds', and select 'none'
5.Click 'OK'

If this not help, it could be something different, I would to recommend to open Event Viewer and check Application log — something shall be entered here, which might be helpful for troubleshooting.

@robdub42
@ZYOng wrote:

Did you rebuild the exe using LabVIEW 2016 on Windows 10?

Installers and executables are only guaranteed to work on the operating system they are built on. Reference: Running Executables or Installers on Different Windows Versions

This note added for unexperienced users who don't understand in details build and link process, in general nothing wrong with this. I have at work Win 10 PC and building apps for wide range OS from Win7 to Win 11. At home I have Win 11, and the apps working in old versions without any problem (as long as not linked with OS-specific libraries). If I should have Dev PC with all Windows versions and should build apps for any specific version in separate environment, then it will be just hell.

But in this particular case WinXP is pretty old, such combination is unusual, but old executables from WinXP time are still running on my Win10 without problems, I haven't seen such message so far.

Message 4 of 7
(171 Views)

Is your application using excel or word by any chance ? 

Does it use any other hardware or drivers ? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(126 Views)

Do you have the correct Runtime engine and DAQ version installed? (i.e. not the latest)

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(118 Views)

First thing I found was the PC and PLC are not on the same network.  Working on this first and will post with updates.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(99 Views)