LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW is a Language or Tool??

Hi All,

There are few arguements I am facing since 1.5 yrs :

1. I would like to say LabVIEW is a language like C, C++, Some people will argue like it is a Tool.( I wont say its not a tool but more than that i prefer to say its a language)

2. As per i heard in NI Conferences there is a G code running inside the LabVIEW functional blocks( like add,subtract, loops etc). but people say that there is a C,C++ Java  code running inside that. Is it?

Please share your views

Correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards
Manasa M
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,915 Views)

What is LabVIEW?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,904 Views)

Another What is Labview?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,895 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,889 Views)

LabVIEW is the name of the Development Environment (IDE) - e.g. like Visual Studio.

G is the name of the graphical programming language you program with LabVIEW.

As for your second question - like other languages, you can compile your LabVIEW (I really mean G here, but it's more common to refer to it as LabVIEW) code into DLLs and call them from other languages and also call code written in other languages (e.g. .NET / C DLLs) from within LabVIEW. I believe that quite a lot of the LabVIEW IDE and some of the functions are written in G itself (a term called dog-fooding) and some of them are written in other languages (e.g. C++).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 5 of 18
(4,875 Views)

Graphical Programming language Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards
Manasa M
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,866 Views)

Thanks for the reply Sam 🙂

Best Regards
Manasa M
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,852 Views)

Sam_Sharp wrote: I believe that quite a lot of the LabVIEW IDE and some of the functions are written in G itself (a term called dog-fooding) and some of them are written in other languages (e.g. C++).

My current understanding is that the core of LabVIEW is written in C# now (once upon a time, it was C++, likely C before that) and then much of the IDE (like Quick Drop) is written in G.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 18
(4,809 Views)

I've heard the argument that something like LabVIEW is not technically a language unless it can compile using itself.  For instance... C code is compiled using C.  But I honestly treat LabVIEW as a language.  Only because as I throw down For Loops and While Loops I am thinking in terms of text based code.

Throw down a For Loop and attach an initialized array into the walls and I have successfully written:

For int i = 0; i++; i<=Size Of Array_TestArray   (something like this, syntax probably not 100% accurate)

So... in my mind this is a visual language.  If Sign Language (which is visual) is considered a language, then so is LabVIEW.  *Mic Drop* haha

Message 9 of 18
(4,792 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Sam_Sharp wrote: I believe that quite a lot of the LabVIEW IDE and some of the functions are written in G itself (a term called dog-fooding) and some of them are written in other languages (e.g. C++).

My current understanding is that the core of LabVIEW is written in C# now (once upon a time, it was C++, likely C before that) and then much of the IDE (like Quick Drop) is written in G.

This sounds right. Last NI core developer I talked to said he spent half his time in C# and the other half using G.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 10 of 18
(4,786 Views)