LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW is a Language or Tool??

I think the best argument to use is the following:

LabVIEW is a tool (yes, I used the word tool) that allows you to communicate to your Computer to complete tasks.  But the buzz word here is communicate.  Whatever we Humans use to communicate a thought should be considered a language.

Anyone disagree with that?  I'm sure there's some philosophical territory I've stepped into that I have no business being in.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,892 Views)

I guess I have to ask the question:

WHO GIVES A FLYING FLIP?  

Labview rocks.  Use it or move on.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,868 Views)
The answer is 42.
Message 13 of 18
(1,860 Views)

@aputman wrote:

WHO GIVES A FLYING FLIP?   

Now that's a bit much. It does make a difference what LabVIEW is referred to as because there are a lot of people out there who program LabVIEW for a living. Being able to refer to it as "programming LabVIEW" is important because it puts the developer on the level of a software engineer rather than some Joe Schmo who "uses LabVIEW". Those who program LabVIEW applications full-time definitely have more in common with a software engineer than anything else.

(The code being called "G" has done a disservice to the craft for a long time. "G code? You mean like CNC?")

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 14 of 18
(1,847 Views)

It may be a bit much but I wouldn't give it a full byte.  (See what i did there?)  Smiley LOL

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,823 Views)

@aputman wrote:

It may be a bit much but I wouldn't give it a full byte.  (See what i did there?)  Smiley LOL

Then you run the real risk of blurring (byte) boundaries.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,814 Views)

I wonder why nobody pointed to Google and Wikipedia yet.

First of all, LabVIEW by itself (as already correctly stated in the thread) is the Development Environment, not the language. The language would be G. However, even NI often confuses this, so why should we bother here? Let's, for simplicity sake, label LabVIEW as the language.

What makes a "programming language"? Please follow that link.

Looking at LabVIEW, the important paradigms for "Programming Language" are fulfilled. That is why G ('LabVIEW') is listed as programming language in Wikipedia.

What i am really concerned about is, that you differ between TOOL and PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE. A programming language is ALWAYS a tool to achieve a solution for your task. So LabVIEW is a TOOL, but it "sub-categorizes" (new word?) to "Programming Language". Just like C# in Visual Studio does.

Is Visual Studio a programming language? NO, it's the IDE. It is a tool.

Is C# a programming language? YES, but it is still a tool for the developer to achieve his goals.....

just my 5 cents,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 17 of 18
(1,757 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

My current understanding is that the core of LabVIEW is written in C# now (once upon a time, it was C++, likely C before that) and then much of the IDE (like Quick Drop) is written in G.

Actually it used to be written predominantly in C (until around LabVIEW 6) and while some of that is still present in LabVIEW, new code was almost exclusively written in C++ since then, with a little Objective C in the most recent versions for interfacing to the MacOS X Cocoa API to replace Carbon calls that Apple has since declared obsolete and are mostly unavailable for 64 bit applications (which LabVIEW for Macintosh supports since version 2014). .Net doesn't come into play in the current versions of LabVIEW except maybe for the .Net interfacing itself but even that can be completely done in C++ if you really want, but that may change in the future.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,736 Views)