LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label misplacement after font change

Solved!
Go to solution

Below label misplacement bug was mentioned earlier (here).

Bug description:

There is a label misplacement bug when you change font (type / size) or change your default font, which can also happen during conversion to a different LV version on a different pc (with different environment settings). This bug misplaces the labels horizontally, especially when the label is positioned halfway horizontally or even halfway vertically on any side of a property node or control / icon.

It could be reasoned that proper placement of text after its font is changed can be very hard to get right in any programming environment.  At least one of the combinations: label stuck to the right side of an item (property node, etc.), placed half-way vertically should be easy to position properly though.  (horizontally at least)  Since this is where I (intuitively) put many of my labels for property nodes I would like to have this fixed.  This bug has been present in LV for at least several years.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,076 Views)

Hello ettepet,

Thank you for your posts!

I'm trying to reproduce your behavior as exactly as possible.

Do you also see it with a normal numerical control?

What always seems to be happening at my side is that left-top position of my label is taken as reference point for the "replacing of the font".

Is this also what happens at your side?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,030 Views)
No, that's either another bug or a different manifestation of the obviously erroneous algorithm that is being used. I get that too, or at least something close to that (top-left label coming loose of the icon or typedef after the font is changed), but it is a minor thing compared to "my" bug.

You just have to create a property node, attach the label to the right, vertically in the middle and change the (default) font. Any other of the middle positions around the property node will behave similarly. Depending on the size difference of the new font the horizontal shift can easily be 1 or 2 characters wide. AFAIK the lenght of the label is irrelevant, because placing a number of property nodes (belonging to different controls) on the same vertical axis will show an identical shift for all.

PS: There is another (in this case) vertical label misplacement bug if you add or remove items to the property node, but I guess that has to be reported separately.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,017 Views)

Hello,

What I see happening is the following?

I don't seem to see a change of 2 characters.

Can you maybe give me an example file and the specific fonts I have to change from and to?

PS: I do not seem to be able to upload pictures at this moment or VIs.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(2,992 Views)

It should happen if you use Tahoma 13 and let Labview convert it to its current Default font (size 15), because that's the main reason it occurs in my case.  If you're still having problems I will create an explicit example.

Thanks sofar. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,981 Views)

Hello Ettepet,

Sorry for the delay.

I didn't fully follow the procedure of steps you were explaining before and therefor I couldn't reproduce it.

I see similar behavior (but to a lesser extinct than 2 full chars) when I play around with the font size of the default font.

During the next week I'll search through the existing CARs and file a new one if it doesn't exist yes.

If it does exist, then I'll provide you with the CAR number and add you as a person experiencing similar issues.

PS: Sorry for the delay, I was teaching 2 courses during this week.

Next week i'll be back on normal support shift.

Kind Regards,
Message 6 of 8
(2,950 Views)

Thanks Thierry, yes the amount of horizontal shift isn't always substantial (and depends, I think, on the size difference between the original and target fonts).

B.t.w., I created a new topic about the label misplacement when adding or removing items of a property node (here).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,930 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ettepet

Hello Ettepet,

The CAR 1313256 has been entered.

Regarding the other forum post I will wait until it has went through the administrative  side.
I cannot currently see the forum post in our internal system and having the internal link will allow me to keep updated (through the support channels) about this forum post.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,918 Views)