LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview : No USB communication with the DLN-2 adapter board.

Solved!
Go to solution

Jose,

I just received a DLN-2.

I too need help setting the device up to be used with Labview.

I also contacted Diolan, but didn't get much help.

Would you be kind enough to share how you went about setting up the DLN-2 for use.

Regards.

Russ.

RussellLewis@Tyco.com

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(425 Views)

hypnozodiak wrote:

It can be used with Labview without any problem. Not a weird board at all, if you happen to know something about hardware.

It is maybe not weird and if you know about PCs, Windows and device drivers certainly can be made to work but you pretty much barked up the wrong tree all the time until you contacted the manufacturer. NI MAX only shows NI hardware and standard Windows devices such as COM and LPT interfaces. Your device definitely is not installed as a COM device but uses some other USB communication protocol such as HID or maybe even a proprietary one. As such only the software of the device manufacturer can know how to deal with this hardware, so NI MAX is definitely the wrong application to use here.

Steps to follow with such devices include:

1) Installing the software application of the manufacturer and testing that you can access the device as intended there. Before that works any attempt to use the hardware in LabVIEW is pretty much wasted time.

2) Then install the LabVIEW drivers for that device from the manufacturer or whoever provides such a library. Don't expect NI to do that. They are not in the business to write system drivers for competitors!

3) If the manufacturer of your hardware doesn't have a LabVIEW driver you will have to put up your sleeves and start digging into the dirty details of whatever API this manufacturer provides and write your own LabVIEW interface for their system drivers.

4) Last but not least unless you plan to use such a hardware solution several times in different setups, it is always cheaper to buy NI than to start hunting down such trouble. That is unless you are a student and your time costs nothing. Smiley Happy

As to the chance of the OP of this thread to see your message Russel: His last post on this forum was on this thread and he doesn't seem to have been active since then. His latest visit to the forums seems to coincide with his latest post to this thread!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(412 Views)