cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview base Development system , protocols supported & basic features

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I ask this here because I don't find the information I need on the web nor I receive answer via e-mail from NI technical support. We are interested in acquiring a Labview Base Development license to start developing simple automation test systems. The basic idea is to have an adapter card having  digital, analog  I/O , common seria interfaces: RS232, Ethernet, I2C or SPI. All this to interface the HW under test.  A single port for PC communication (USB/Ethernet/RS232).

We would like to know :

1)  What protocols are supported by the Labview Base Development System package.

2) If that license mode allows you to embed MATLAB/C/C++ code.

3) In general, where to find a document that provides details on the features of the Labview. We were not able to find a user manual for it. Just this purchase link with very basic informaton: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/no/nid/1385.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,253 Views)

Hi Jose,

- the user manuals are available at NI website (like the LV2014 help)

- what kind of "protocols" do you expect to use?

The basic idea is to have an adapter card having…

When you use hardware you need to have a hardware driver - and a LabVIEW API for that hardware.

- When it is hardware by NI you get an API (mostly DAQmx) and you can use that API with each LabVIEW version.

- When it's hardware by a 3rd party manufacturer you need to ask that manufacturer for driver software…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,242 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hypnozodiak

Did you look at the 'Buy' page for LabVIEW? http://www.ni.com/labview/buy/

Essentially, I think LabVIEW base supports everything in terms of basic protocols from Windows but doesn't include LabVIEW RT or FPGA (for CompactRIO/FPGA targets) but you can use serial, ethernet, DAQmx etc. from windows (and also 3rd party instrument drivers). It also doesn't have the enhanced maths library or the application builder so you can't build executables/installers - you'll need to run your code from within the development environment.

You can also call external code from .NET / C DLLs using the call library function node. You won't be able to embed Mathscript as that's only in the full edition upwards.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 3 of 7
(3,232 Views)

Hi GerdW:

Continuing with the discussion:

- the user manuals are available at NI website (like the LV2014 help)

Sorry but I was not able to find any licensing/user manual benchmarking the features of the different Labview Development packages (Base/professional/...)

what kind of "protocols" do you expect to use?

We want to design a simple test system for several PCB types we manufacture. This test system should be able to  generate digital triggers and acquire digital status, acquire analog inputs and send/receive traffic through SPI/I2C/Ethernet buses of those boards. We want to use Labview and a simple adapter board connected via RS232 or USB to the PC and to the boards under test with the interfaces mentioned.

By now we are evaluating  two options:

1-To use USB to I2C//SPI/GPIO from Diolan  (DLN-2  USB-I2C/SPI/GPIO ADAPTER : https://diolan.com/dln2). This adapter board comes with Labview drivers for the USB communication. An ARM does the protocol translation for SPI/I2C, the GPIO and sweeps through the 8 analog inputs of the PCB. The manufacturer provides also drivers for those interface, so it looks like the adapter board can be fully programmed using Labview environment.The question here is : does the Labview base development system come with a generic USB block for the PC side?

2-To use a mojov3 development board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11953). No Labview driver for this one. An FPGA can be programmed in VHDL (I am an experienced FPGA designer myself) to access the differrent interfaces in the board. An 8 bit atmel processor is in slave mode, sweeps 8 analog inputs and the FPGA fetches them via an SPI bus. I would add a simple RS232 UART in VHDL to interface with the PC.

The question here is : does the Labview base development system come with a generic RS232 block for the PC side of the UART?

In this youtube video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sgAyjb-Kk I see a guy designing a .vi that uses something called VISA driver to interface an Arduino board via RS232. It's been long since I dont use Labview (>10 years, university times) , but I guess the Arduino is running a C code with the rs232 driver call and that VISA block the guy is using is only for the PC side of the UART.

When you use hardware you need to have a hardware driver - and a LabVIEW API for that hardware.

- When it is hardware by NI you get an API (mostly DAQmx) and you can use that API with each LabVIEW version.

- When it's hardware by a 3rd party manufacturer you need to ask that manufacturer for driver software…

Thanks. I had that already in mind. When I mentioned protocols supported I was talking about the PC side of the interface. Of course that if you need an interface hardware and that contains programmable components you need a driver for them. But I would expect that you can create your own driver for that HW , and that the PC Labview application can interface your HW for standard protocols (RS232, USB 2.0, Ethernet,...) by using generic VIs for those protocols.

regards,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,213 Views)

Hi,

Haven't checked the "buy" page (now I did). That solves part of my doubts. There is still a basic thing: let's say that I have a board with an RS232 UART (no Labview driver for that UART, just an FPGA or uC with the driver in VHDL or C). It's obvious I can use Hyperterminalt o communicate with that HW using my PC via the COM port. What happens If I want to communicate using a Labview VI? Do I need to develop a Labview driver for that Hardware? Why, since RS232 is a standard protocol (Philips)?. As long as my HW uses  the correct logic levels /rising/fall times/ timing and overhead according the protocol , it should be possible to add a generic VI in Labview using the COM port and that s it, right?

Sorry for my questions , its been long since I dont use Labview.

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,206 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hypnozodiak

Hi Jose,

for COM ports you use the VISA driver coming with LabVIEW (when properly installed). VISA handles several ports, RS232 is just one of them.

And VISA is supported with each LabVIEW version…

Why don't you call your local NI sales representative? Why not discuss all these questions by phone (or maybe face-to-face)?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 7
(3,200 Views)

Hi,

Thanks GerdW! That solves my doubts. And yes, definitely, I should talk to my local NI sales representative.

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,191 Views)