cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview does not recognize the comma

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to every one,

As you can see from the object, I have an issue due to the fact that Lb does not recognize the comma.

Practically, I have tried to open a VI created by me in a my colleague's laptop and I found that his Lb program (version 2012) does not allow me to plot data, saved in a text file, in which the decimal separator is the comma.

Later, I found that this happens because his Lb program does not recognize the comma; for example it is impossible to insert a costant DBL with comma as decimal separator. When i write "it is impossible" I mean phisically, that is when i press comma on my keybord it happens nothing.

At the same time, when I try to use the subVi "fract/exp string to number", if the input string is equal to 1,2( for example) it returns 1 even if the "use system decimal point" is true.

Has anyone got the same problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,644 Views)

There are several issues with comma as decimal separator. 

In the LabVIEW Options (or Preferences on the Mac) Front Panel page is a checkbox for "Use localized decimal point."  When that is checked (the default), LV will use the same separator as your operating system for numerics. However, many of the functions convert strings to numbers and some VIs will not recognize the comma.  Some string/number functions have a boolean input to select the mode.  Some of these things are not well documented or the separator documentation is in a comment near the end of the documentation.

You may need to use Search and Replace String to change the commas to periods.

Lynn

Message 2 of 5
(2,636 Views)

Did you set the Front Panel "Option" (Tools, Options, Front Panel) for "Use Localized Decimal Point" properly?  [I'm assuming that your Operating System is set to use commas as the decimal separator, e.g. Pi=3,14159 ...).

Message 3 of 5
(2,629 Views)

Hi johnsold and thank you for the quick answer,

The box you indicated me is checked on my pc and, on it I do not have issues with comma.

I have attached an image which shows what happens on my collegue's pc..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,624 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author c.fish

Hi  Bob,

I solved the problem simply changing the default decimal separator of the pc. It was setted to period.

Thank you all for the help!

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,613 Views)