LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop replacement recommendations?

@AeroSoul wrote:

@JÞB wrote:
  • Can you shut off a mousetrap?  I use a mouse with a tail... after crossing a BT mouse across the room I've never trusted wireless again.

On both Asus laptops i have/had, you can just press Fn + Fsomething to disable TouchPad, i keep mine permanently disabled unless i can't locate my BT mouse.

The toddler thing was just meant to showcase the durability of the laptop 😄

It can mostly handle a 10 kg toddler dancing on it.

Fn plus something... like a mousetrap vasectomy... stops Toddlers dancing on your keyboard ...

Sounds like a tip to learn.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(872 Views)

Just an FYI - I saw one programmer who swore by his touchpad, and he was so good at it that he could produce excellent code faster than most people can produce cr*p with a mouse.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(863 Views)

My biggest complaint about laptop keyboards is the location of the left-side function and ctrl key. I like the ctrl key to be the outer most key. Unfortunately, the HP Thinkpad I have has the FN key on the outside. So, I have to carry around a "real" keyboard when I travel.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 13 of 21
(838 Views)

Hi there

Look for deal breaker issues. One such is High-DPI displays.

Most LabVIEW versions will work just fine with high resolution scaled down by f.ex 200%.

But I cannot make LabVIEW 2018 and 2019 behave. 2010, 2014 and 2021 are fine. The finger cursor and editing cross are twice the size which is truly ugly. And it will probably never be fixed.

If you decide for a High-DPI display anyway then make sure that the graphics controller offer reduced resolution that match. Example 3840x2160 will reduce nicely to 1920x1080.

Some nice 2-in-1 tablet/laptop's offer a native 3:2 resolution that has no matching reduced resolution. Like HP Elite 1013's 3000x2000. You loose display real estate when reducing resolution.

The safe buy by some is a Lenovo P70..73. 17" display, lots of precision USB ports, lot of storage bays. There is a 15" product line P50..53 with almost the same features. Including the numerical keyboard section. The first two generation of each offered ExpressCard/34 expansion. Useful for some.

I run Windows 11 22H2 on my 17" MacBook Pro with its 16:10 display. No problems with standard LabVIEW functionality even down to LabVIEW 7.0.

Windows 11 22H2 shows CHM help files properly. Earlier versions were a fixed bag. I previously used XP in a VM to show help properly.

Regards

Message 14 of 21
(809 Views)

@billko wrote:

Just an FYI - I saw one programmer who swore by his touchpad, and he was so good at it that he could produce excellent code faster than most people can produce cr*p with a mouse.

I was caught "in the zone" once.  3 displays, 2 keyboards, 1 touchscreen (gestures reconfigured to LabVIEW hotkeys) mic with LV SPEAK and a partridge in a pear tree.

When I looked around... I had an audience of cube gophers!

"Like that scene with Mozart in the store from Bill & Ted's excellent adventure "  were the first words spoken.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(789 Views)

Update:

I went with the ASUS Zenbook Pro 15. 16GB RAM 1TB SSHD on a Intel i7 running Win 11 with a sweet touchscreen and alexa built-in.  I hadn't really considered the 360deg flip screen but, fell in love with it at first sight.  I can imagine that flipping to tablet mode will be a nice feature for group presentations.  15.6" is a bit small but the screen resolution is super sharp and upgrading to Windows Ergonomic mouse makes wiring a snap in LabVIEW.

The ASUS seems to have the lowest load of background services compared to Dell and HP. Other brands were not in consideration.  

Yes, I did take a hit on price but, not as bad as I had thought and came in @$300 under my top end budget.

Message 16 of 21
(741 Views)

Whenever I buy a new PC for home use I format the drive and then install Windows.

Next, install any drivers for the hardware.

And then go on a search and destroy to remove any built-in Windows Apps I have no need for.

Pretty much eliminates 3rd party bloatware and their associated background services that consume resources.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(733 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Update:

I went with the ASUS Zenbook Pro 15. 16GB RAM 1TB SSHD on a Intel i7 running Win 11 with a sweet touchscreen and alexa built-in.  I hadn't really considered the 360deg flip screen but, fell in love with it at first sight.  I can imagine that flipping to tablet mode will be a nice feature for group presentations.  15.6" is a bit small but the screen resolution is super sharp and upgrading to Windows Ergonomic mouse makes wiring a snap in LabVIEW.

That sounds like a nice choice! I remember looking at that also when i upgraded last time. Is that the one with a little extra screen on the bottom half? (what do you call the halves of a laptop? Screen and ... ?)

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(678 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Screen and ... ?)

Keyboard?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(667 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Update:

I went with the ASUS Zenbook Pro 15. 16GB RAM 1TB SSHD on a Intel i7 running Win 11 with a sweet touchscreen and alexa built-in.  I hadn't really considered the 360deg flip screen but, fell in love with it at first sight.  I can imagine that flipping to tablet mode will be a nice feature for group presentations. 

Is that the one with a little extra screen on the bottom half?

Nope, it's hinged so that it folds over into "Tablet mode" leaving it flat with touchscreen up and physical keyboard down and disabled (the touchscreen keyboard is good to go!) Like a super sized extremely smartphone.  I'm pretty sure I can BT link to the phone, like your car can, to use hands free voice and video calls too.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(647 Views)