LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX can't see my Agilent 82357A GPIB/USB converter

I have a LV 8.5 program that talks to an Agilent 34970A through the subject converter and generally works well except I often lose comm. Also when I first start my LV program it can't establish comm until I run the Agilent Connection Wizard, then LV and MAX comm ok with it. I've tried a different converter with same results. I'm using the Agilent Initialize vi, which is where the error occurs. The error I get is "Error 1073870264 occurred at VISA Clear in HP34970A Initialize.vi.....(Hex 0xBFFF00600) The interface associated with this session is not currently the controller in charge. "
I've been on the phone with Agilent tech help and we've tried lots of things, and finally he suggests updating the Agilent I/O s/w, as well as NI-MAX. My MAX rev is 4.4of1. My first question is where/how do I download an update for MAX? and second question is, what's my problem?  I can always get my LV program and MAX to recognize the converter ONLY after I run the Agilent Connection Wizard OR unplug/replug the USB cable, and that's getting to be a real pain.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(7,266 Views)
If it is in the cards, you may consider NI's USB to GPIB adapter, at least that way you are guarnteed that it will work with LabVIEW (no, I don't work for them).

Have you seen this link?

If I'm not mistaken NI-MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) is installed along with NI-DAQmx, could be wrong.

Let us know how it goes.

Message Edited by ajckson on 06-10-2008 04:31 PM
Message 2 of 14
(7,252 Views)

Thanks for the tips ajckson. We've been using the Agilent adaptors quite successfully for the past few years until now. I checked the link you suggested, and I do have Tulip enabled, but didn't have 'enable Agilent GPIB cards for 488 programs' checked. We never had to do that before, so I checked it, now I can't get LV or MAX to recognize the GPIB converter even WITH running the Agilent Connection Expert, so I'm changing it back.

Before I go through the download and installation of NI-DAQmx, can anyone confirm that MAX is included in that?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,225 Views)
MAX is included with DAQmx but you don't need to install that. You should first see it there is an update to NI-VISA.
Message 4 of 14
(7,222 Views)
Last week I updated my NI-VISA to v4.3. My current MAX is 4.4of1. Do I have the latest MAX, and how do I know what version is the latest?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,218 Views)

If you got the latest version of NI-VISA, then your version of MAX is probably current.

I really don't know what the problem could be except for some incompatibility between the latest versions of the agilent and NI software that you have. I have not had to use an Agilent GPIB controller in several years when I inherited some. I never thought it made any sense to use Agilent controllers with LabVIEW. The small difference in price did not make up for the time required to do the additional setup. Wish I could help more.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(7,210 Views)
I think DAQmx is currently at 8.7.1, dont know what version of MAX is included, but if your DAQmx isnt 8.7.1, probably isnt a bad idea to upgrade.

4.3 is the latest VISA, should be ok there.  Do you have 488.2 installed?  The latest version is 2.5, it is here.  I'm not 100% if you need it, but it comes with all GPIB cards from NI, you might try it.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(7,198 Views)

Hi,

Had the same problem a while ago. Here's what I did with Agilent 82357B..

1. Download and Install Agilent IO libraries suite 15 --> http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1249127&nid=-536900532.731306.00&...

2. Set Agilent VISA to secondary

3. Enable VISA Tulip (as you have done already)

4. Hope it works Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(7,174 Views)

I am having this same issue, How do I perform steps 2 and 3?  I see my instruments with agilents Visa Assistant, but I don t know where to find tulip or set VISA priority.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,835 Views)
In ajckson's answer above, is a link to a KnowledgeBase web page and on that page, there is another link to a different KnowledgeBase page. You just had to follow that link to get a description of where you enable tulip support in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(6,825 Views)