LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX does not display any serial ports

I am using both Windows 7 and Windows XP (5 computers with this problem, some NEW).

Using LabVIEW 2012 and earlier.

MAX does not list ANY ports (serial nor parallel) - not even a listing for Ports (COM & LPT).

(obviously I NEED com 1 -  to control a powersupply)

Typical software installed includes:

LabVIEW Run-Time 2012 f1 and earlier

Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.7.1

NI-DAQmx ... 9.2.2

NI-VISA (and runtime) 5.0.2

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling ALL NI programs.

What next?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,348 Views)

... and do the computers have serial and parallel ports? New ones frequently don't these days. If you have add-on cards, you may need to install the drivers.

Cheers

Edgar

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,346 Views)

ALL the computers  (that we use) have COM 1. 

Using Windows Device Manager, the com ports are there, default configuration and functional.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,337 Views)

Do you have other VISA installed on the computers (TekVISA or Agilent I/O Library)? This might cause problems.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,329 Views)

no. 

Just NI-VISA 5.0.2 and NI-VISA Runtime 5.0.2

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,324 Views)

Desktop/laptop?  Ports on mainboard or PCI card?  I'd find either newest main board or PCI drivers and un/reinstall them.  If nothing works try a different (new) PCI serial card or USB-serial dongle. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,310 Views)

One new laptop, and one of 3 new desktops; several older computers from 3 to 8 years old.

I hope not to have to put in an additional card (we have a lot of pci slot based DAQ cards and pci slots are getting rare).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,302 Views)

I just added 2 USB-serial converters.  Instantly recognized by the Device Manager (Windows 7), still not seen in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,291 Views)

In MAX have you tried R Clicking on 'Devices and Interfaces' or 'Serial & Parallel' group (if it's there) and then 'Create New'.  Don't know if this would work or not...just an idea.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,285 Views)

Tried it.  Couln't create a  port, just LabVIEW named items.  (there was no hint of anything serial or parallel)

My next step is to download most recent software and un/reinstall (again).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,271 Views)