cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple strain gauges

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Jordy,

It would appear that the signal is now railing at the negative signal input range of just below -70mV.  This is the lower limit of the device.  Can you try to connect the signal to a handheld dmm to get a rough estimate of the actual signal?  It appears that your strain signal is actually below -70mV. 

Can you try to switch your signals, this will identify if the strain signal from channel one works on channel 2?

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(782 Views)

Hi Adam,

I've switched the strain gage from channel 2 (wich worked proberly) to channel 1 and stil got  -0,0787 as a result.

Any idea's?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(756 Views)

Hi Jice,

It still sounds like you are saturating your input line.  Can you try to read the voltage on a device with a larger input range such as a handheld DMM to find out what the actual value is?

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(743 Views)

What exactly do i need to measure? Sorry i'm just an composite engineer with no electrical skills but with programming skills

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(707 Views)

Hi Jordy,

Just connect your AI+/- to a handheld DMM rather than connecting to the AI+/- of your DAQ device.  Then you can find the actual voltage your device is outputting if it is out of range of your TC device.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(693 Views)

when i connect the DMM to the SG's I get the foollowing results

SG at AI (X)+

Voltage         Strain

AI (X)+          1.25V          -0.07837

AI (X)+8         0.86V         -0.07837

SG at AI (X)+8

Voltage         Strain

AI (X)+          0.86V        -0.07837

AI (X)+8        1.25V           +-0

What am I doing wrong here?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(679 Views)

You have a differential voltage of 0.39 V and a common mode voltage of 1.06 V.  You are trying to measure this with a mV range on the DAQ device.

1. Your strain gauge or signal conditioning devices are not connected properly or are defective. I am not familiar with your devices but these values seem unlikely.

2. Your DAQ device needs to be set to a range which is compatible with the output of the signal conditioning device.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(673 Views)