LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 2.8 compatible with Labview 7.1

Is NI-488.2 version 2.8 compatible with Labview 7.1?  

I have extremely complex VIs that I run in 7.1, and do not currently have time to go through all the sub-VIs to properly upgrade them all to version 8 of Labview.

I have been using NI-488.2 version 2.7.3, but recently if my computer goes idle for more than a few hours suddenly Labview stops being able to communicate with all instruments.  If I try to search for instruments in measurement and automation it simply states an unknown error has occurred. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,900 Views)

Hi bagman27,

see this link. From there i would say no.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,896 Views)

Hi again,

it also doesn't support an installation routine for LV7.1.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,889 Views)

@bagman27 wrote:

Is NI-488.2 version 2.8 compatible with Labview 7.1?  

I have extremely complex VIs that I run in 7.1, and do not currently have time to go through all the sub-VIs to properly upgrade them all to version 8 of Labview.

I have been using NI-488.2 version 2.7.3, but recently if my computer goes idle for more than a few hours suddenly Labview stops being able to communicate with all instruments.  If I try to search for instruments in measurement and automation it simply states an unknown error has occurred. 

Why do you believe that 2.8 will fix your problem? There's nothing in the release notes related to a computer going idle. You also said that this has been happening "recently", implying that it used to work just fine. If true, then something else has changed. What kind of GPIB interface are you using? Is it USB-based? Perhaps when your computer goes idle the USB port gets unpowered, messing up the USB<->GPIB interface. This would have nothing to do with the version of NI-488 that you have installed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,882 Views)

Well, we had a drive failure and switched the 7.1 software to a new machine.  It was not clear what version of NI-488.2 was on the old machine, so I had to guess that 2.7.3 would be the right one.  It seem to worked properly for a few weeks, then stopped working.  But because we had been previously using Labview only intermittently, it could be that the problem with the idle performance was happening all along and we didn't notice it because we were shutting down the system in between uses, which resets the software.

When you go on any help forum one of the 1st things that is suggested is to install the latest version of the software, which is what I was trying to do.  However, I could not locate the release notes on NI's website that explained what labview version 2.8 was compatible with.

We are using a PCI GPIB card, not USB.  I am not an expert in GPIB, however, so I'm trying the various things one would try with any generic software problem.  You are correct that it might not be the software.  It is looking like I'll just have to upgrade the VIs to Labview 8, as painful as it will be.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,871 Views)

There is some more information you can provide for us.

Like what VISA are you running?

Are you using making sure you are closing all the GPIB instruments at the end of your program?

Are you doing any Clear commands on your GPIB instruments?

I would turn off standby mode and hibernation on the computer.

Also install the lastest chipset drivers for the computer.

Check the PCI latency for the computer.  If there are devices that are over 128 for latency reduce them to 64.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,769 Views)