LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-Scope updating waveform display

@mcduff wrote:

I have not used NI-Scope much at all, so these are suggestions:

1. Your timeout is short 1 ms, I know your acquisition is 100 us, but updating your display at 1kHz is insane, change it to 100ms to start.
  2. There is no "start" in your code or anything I see that sets it to acquire continuously.
  3. Do you need a start for each new acquisition?

I'll let the expert, Sir Jeff, figure out the remedy.

mcduff

PS Event structures are extremely powerful. I highly suggest learning them.

Hmmm... I am basically making an oscilloscope, I want the display to update like an oscilloscope. If I set my scope to 100uS/Div it's updating it's display at 1Khz isn't it?

I swear there was a start acquisition at the end of the setup state.

I am guessing I do I have to start an acquisition for every sweep, I will see what Jeff has for me in the morning.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(848 Views)

Can anybody do a backsave? I'm installing 2018 and cannot get to my own code right now

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(840 Views)

At home, cannot do a back save, sorry.

i have no idea how fast areal scope updates, but I am guessing not as fast as you think. It may be acquiring at a 1kHz rate, but the display may be showing every 10th acquisition. However, I am not sure I believe this. Acquiring 100us of data every 1ms means in 900us it needs to display, store the data, set up the trigger, etc.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(837 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

At home, cannot do a back save, sorry.

i have no idea how fast areal scope updates, but I am guessing not as fast as you think. It may be acquiring at a 1kHz rate, but the display may be showing every 10th acquisition. However, I am not sure I believe this. Acquiring 100us of data every 1ms means in 900us it needs to display, store the data, set up the trigger, etc.

mcduff

Well back in the old analog oscilloscope days, that beam swept the screen 1000 times a second at 100uS/Div.

That might explain why my company has to spend $15K on one oscilloscope these days.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(834 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

See comments in code:

Fetching does not Initiate an acquisition that was your primary issue.

I addressed some other things as well

• Timeout case was queueing up every 1mSec there was no user activity (Regardless of acquisition length) that was bad...
  • Dup Code in unnecessary initialization case and config value change case (Fixed by using a singleton timeout as an event in the configure case)
  • Exit latching boolean would never unlatch (See Comment in exit case)

For a Developer that never used NI SCOPE before and is new to events- I'ld give it a solid C+ with a suitable boost for asking the right questions here!

That didn't work for me, when it runs all the controls are locked out even the exit buttons and I have to use the Abort to stop it.

I think the "Fire a val signaling event to loop when each event completes" makes it always goto the "Continue Value Change" case no matter what.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(831 Views)

Isn't it great that I offer FREE TRAINING on subtle properties of event structures?

Edit the event case for Continue? Value Change Event an un check the "Lock Front Panel until event is complete" option checkbox near the bottom.

(Look, I can't even see the code and I know what's wrong!)

Smiley Embarassed

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 16 of 18
(817 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Isn't it great that I offer FREE TRAINING on subtle properties of event structures?

Edit the event case for Continue? Value Change Event an un check the "Lock Front Panel until event is complete" option checkbox near the bottom.

(Look, I can't even see the code and I know what's wrong!)

Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for your help. It was early and I was not feeling well this morning, besides I swear I said I did not understand Event Structures or how to use them, so this is basically my first time with one.

I was sick enough to leave work soon after I arrived so I did not have the time to explore the code you gave me and learn how it worked. I brought the hardware home and will have your code down-converted to LV 2014 and try to figure it out this weekend.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(798 Views)

If anyone would like to play with NI Scope code but you don't have the hardware, you can use simulation.

Replace niScope Initialize with niScope Initilaize With Options.

Then use the attached subvi to supply the Option String to the enhanced init function.

(Make your settings in the subvi then use Edit -> Make Current Values Default).

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(785 Views)